• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

26" Varmint mod....some Q's

Hi team,

Just starting on the road of change, I have a Varmint 26", to be honest far more barrel than I need for the use's I want to put it to, Hunting/small amount of mid range paper/plate pounding, not to mention the practicality, yes I can here it now "why did I buy it then" well I wanted a RRA 308 and here in New Zealand the market range is very small... what is around is way over priced, I picked mine up for NZ$2800 (US$2290 Aprox) brand new in the case never fired, I have seen a few RRA LAR8 20" going for NZ$3600 (US$2945) so jumped at the one I brought... private sale by the way.

Ok this is my plan, I have just ordered a PRI .936 Low Profile Gas Block, as I hate the standard block it comes with, I also am planning to cut the barrel down to a more manageable 20" and having the barrel fluted (cutting it as I want to take the rifle in the field hunting, fluting again weight dropping) I'm also planning on having it suppressed, has anyone done this? what were the issues results?

also I am after a new hand guard, I want it to cover the gas block (butt to or over the supressor for the clean line) any ideas on a good option/vendor, I'm considering having the guard custom made here in NZ (I know of someone who could achieve this) does anyone know the thread type as I know the RRA's one is odd ball...

once that is all sorted it will be off to the local Cerakote applicator....full OD green..

Ok theres a lot of Q's in that so any guidance will be very much appreciated, many thanks in advance from the bottom of the world!

Cheers 

Firearms-machinist-wise, I'm not sure what you have access to over there.  However, depending on shipping price, there is someone on US soil that can take care of anything you want done, barrel-wise.  ADCO.  Depending on what you've got available there (or not available there), it would be worth the shot to contact them and see if they can help you out.

They work wonderfully through email, and catching them on the phone might not be your best bet.  Try it out, and see what you come up with - definitely worth the time.  <thumbsup>

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

email:

steve@adcofirearms.com

Full contact info:

Fax 419.882.6627

Phone 419.882.8079

please don’t call to check item availability – use the “email a question” link below each item.

The phone is usually only answered between 4-6pm on business days.

steve@adcofirearms.com

Copyright ©2010 Adco Firearms LLC

Availability and pricing of all products are subject to change without notice.

Adco Firearms LLC.

6481 Monroe St.

Sylvania, OH 43560

Hey bro,

cheers for that I think using a out of NZ option is a no go just involving far to much effort/cost, not to mention the paper work....and theres always the chance it would get F'ed up and held at one end....

Anyway I have a guy here in NZ who does great work, and a lot or AR stuff, not on his web site but he as all the right gear to handle it, I was just trying to have all my chips in hand when I head in there to talk it though,

again thanks for the link,

heres the link for HRE here in NZ just for looks,

http://www.hardyrifleengineering.co.nz/enquiry.html

Cheers

Damn!  You're more than covered with that - have no worries about getting it down to a 20" barrel.

To cover the PRI gas block on a rifle length gas system, the rail will have to be 13.8", just to get the end of the mounted rail to the end of the PRI .936 lo-pro block - I've got that setup.

I'll grab some pics of it in detail, if you need, but the main parts are detailed (with pics) in this thread:

http://308ar.com/forum/dpms-lr-308-general-technical-discussion/lr308-self-build/msg616/#msg616

Hey bro,

Very nice build!, am I right in that is a 18.5" barrel+ muzzle break?

13.8 for guard to just cover gas block awesome, and the troy just screwed right on and mod's need?

I'm looking at going for a tube design, vented and a rail the length of the top, and 1/2-1/4 the length of the bottom for a Versa-pod, hence looking at the custom guard,

I'm hoping the guard can be made to cover the end of the over barrel suppresser....thats the plan...will see how it pans out once I have the Gas Block and and am get home in 2 weeks to get things started.....

Hunter1974, am I correct in thinking that sound suppressors aren't a licensing hassle there?  I seem to remember NZ being one of the places that believes hearing is important to protect.

Jon

Hey Mate, you are right in that, we have no restrictions in regards to suppressors at all.....but they make up for that in other ways by restricting certain weapon characteristics, magazine size and so on by firearms licence Cats....

I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to suppressor's and how much barrel overlap there is (I think it varies greatly depending on type/brand) but, if you have your barrl shortened to 20" and go with a handguard that just covers the rifle length gas block, you're going to have somewhere around 6" of barrel past the front of the rail. On my long range AR build, I went with a 20" barrel and a 15" rail and I've got over 4" from the front of the rail to the shoulder on the barrel that the brake locks against. Do they sell suppressors down there that overlap the barrel more than 6"? If not your going to need a pretty long handguard if you want it to meet or overlap the suppressor.

I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to suppressor's and how much barrel overlap there is (I think it varies greatly depending on type/brand) but, if you have your barrl shortened to 20" and go with a handguard that just covers the rifle length gas block, you're going to have somewhere around 6" of barrel past the front of the rail. On my long range AR build, I went with a 20" barrel and a 15" rail and I've got over 4" from the front of the rail to the shoulder on the barrel that the brake locks against. Do they sell suppressors down there that overlap the barrel more than 6"? If not your going to need a pretty long handguard if you want it to meet or overlap the suppressor.

Hey Jgun,

I know now that I will need at least a 15" hand rail leaving like you said 4" to the crown, as I wont be running a brake, like I said all this is want I would like BUT really depends on the guys I get to do the work as to how much I have to ply with, I have a AR15 built by the guy the will do this work and the suppressor on that sites 100mm either side of the barrel end so if that is the min I can go and if I go with a 15" rail thats a tight fit....anyway I was hoping you guys would come forward with these answers/pointers so very grateful, and keep them coming, the more info I get the better.

All working out I will be posting the end result some time soon.....

Cheers

Cheers

Robocop1051...

mate I am a idiot I didn't look the web site over right, they do fit a RRA hell it is just what I was after, not into rails all over as I only want to run back up sites and a bipod....the JP hand guard is spot on the money and the cost is awesome as well.........so all done ordered and on the the way to good old NZ can't wait...only hope the PRI low pro gas block fits under it?.......

has anyone had any issues with suppressing a 308?....I have been hearing a and reading a lot about major gas blow back.....

Cheers

• 1 month later...