• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to AR and lookin' at DPMS Recon 308

I'm brand new to AR platforms outside of the M16A2 I used in bootcamp,A.I.T, and the N.G. years ago. I know I want a .308 to have a double used gun in targets and hunting whitetails, I want it short and lite for quick throws and quick targeting and ablility to carry through haevy brush. Max. distance I'll be shooting is 300 maybe 400 yards, 200 max at deer. I'm looking at the DPMS .308 Recon and the 3G1 with a 18" barrel. extra 2 inches is the only reason Im lookin at the 3G1. Is the 16" barrel gonna have enough to maintain speed and energy for game hunting and quick kills? Is DPMS a good brand to go with,?I'll probably never fire more than 800-1000 rounds. I like that the recon has just about all the options I'm lookin for,free float barrel, quad rails, flat top, ss barrel, magpul stock etc. already together off the shelf..all and any feedback will be apriciated.

I looked at the remingtons, I just bought the 700 sps camo in the 270 cal. with a leupold vx3 4x14 cds scope, 0'ed it with 4 shots and has a 1/4-1/2 inch groups @ 100 and 200 yards, The R-25 lead me to the DPMS because it will take the mags on the LR308's. now that I know that 16" barrel is good is DPMS products a good quality product? Durable, rugid, dependable in just about all conditions, freezing temps. rain, sleet, snow etc.?

I don't own a DPMS but alot of guys on here do,i'm sure they will give you some feed back soon. From what I gather they are good guns and sale far more AR's than any other manufacturer. You can buy or build better AR's but they will hurt your wallet! :o If you tell us your budget we can better suggest the most gun for your $$$

Welcome to the forum! <thumbsup>

Stay far away from CMMG's !! :puke:

Yep, Those are the ones I narrowed down to,, Ended up between the Armalite carbine and the DPMS, I liked the Armalite since I think that was the maker of the M-16A2 but after I shoped for the extras, quad rail hand guards, trigger, magpul adj. stock, flip up sights, flash suppresor, etc. I could get the Recon and save some cash for the optics and ammo. I just looked at La Rue tact., looked nice but they are proud of their stuff, bout 3k for what I'm lookin for there.

From a shipped-from-the-factory rifle standpoint, I have to say this:

DPMS rifles sometimes have rough chambers, which causes feeding or extraction issues. Requires gunsmithing to polish the chamber and make things right.  Some come from the factory in great shape.  Some do not.

I've never seen stories of a complete Armalite rifle with feeding or extraction issues, from the factory.

You will not find a better shooter than a complete LaRue rifle.  Period.  That extra cost is for a reason. 

Now, I built a DPMS rifle, so my comments might seem contradictory, in reference to DPMS.  I used DPMS upper and lower receivers, filled with Fulton Armory guts and Fulton Armory barrel, so I didn't have the common DPMS problems - my rifle shoots like a champ. 

My 2 bullets...  <thumbsup>

We used to have issues in shops with varying quality.

When it was left to the machinists (who knew what they were doing) it wasn't an issue.

When supervisors got involved is when it became an issue...usually "These bits are expensive.  You have to cut x-number of parts before you get a new one!"  Which left the last few parts lacking in quality.

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all and the late posters, thanks for the input but with the supply and demand issues with just about all affordable 7.62/.308's, I decided to build one. I did go with the DPMS brand upper and soon to be lower.

I've got the entire upper assembled and like I said waiting on lower. It has a Rainier Arms 16" Ultra-Match, 1:10 twist 6 groove, which is aight cause I will be shooting mostly 150 g ammo, mod-gas system, I got the mid-length JP FF hand guards with the rails, and I put the AAC Brake-out flash hider/compensater/muzzle brake. 51t.

I'll be posting some pics as soon as it gets fully put together.

should be a sweet rifle. The weight of the upper is at 6.25ish lbs right now so it will be carry friendly. <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...

It has a Rainier Arms 16" Ultra-Match, 1:10 twist 6 groove, which is aight cause I will be shooting mostly 150 g ammo,

That twist is suited more towards the heavier projectiles.  150s will work, through it, but the 168s and 175s will do much better, over those 150s.  I'm just sayin'...