• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Christensen Arms CA TAC-10 on GB

Jgun

I came across this listing today, though I'd post it because it's got the best pictures I've seen so far of one of these. Looks impressive, but I don't know if I'd go $4,300 for an AR, maybe if it came with a suppressor. I realy like the detail on the receiver, and that CF handguard looks pretty nice as well, wonder how much it weighs, and how well it shoots?

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=301650311

That is a trade off. It seems that you can't have it both ways. My Kaiser with the 18" CF barrel is almost  2 lbs lighter than my Mega 14.5" carbine, and I definitely notice the greater recoil of the Kaiser. Part of that may be that the Carbine has the BABC and the Kaiser has a comp made by the barrel maker (ABS), but I think it's more a result of the extra weight. I guess it all depends what your going to do with the gun. I'm thinking that if you were doing some hunting that required lots of tracking, with maybe one or two shots to bring down your game, the TAC-10 might be just the ticket, but maybe not for run and gun stuff, it is pretty though.

Jgun made a point about the hunting aspect. Christiansen Arms is notorious for their long range hunting rifles. They are not in the business of 3-Gun competitions and Soldier of Fortune lifestyles. They expect you to carry their rifles all through Gods county, take one shot, then hump it home.

I shot my 14.5" MA TEN carbine in a TAC rifle match last weekend, and when I reviewed the vidieos, I was surprised by (and others that watched the video have commented on) the lack of apparent recoil in the video.  This gun is presently the heaviest AR I have (until my long range  is finished). It has got to be 11 lbs with a loaded mag. Now, I know that I could swing the gun faster if I were shooting a small platform gun, and would likely be faster on my splits between shots, but what I am finding is that if I want to shoot the .308 fast, the greater weight coupled with the compact size (so the weight is close to me) seems to be the best configuration for me. I am of the opinion that if I were to have the same gun, but 3 lbs lighter, I would not shoot it as well in these types of matches.

Of course, if you were shooting matches with long runs between target arrays, the heavier gun might become a liability. I am beginning to understand that (for me) the large platform  ARs are more versitile when they are a little heavier, than when they are built to be as light as a small platform gun. Of course I'm not the heaviest guy out the (180 lbs) so maybe the bigger shooters don't find this to be the case.