• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

when the barrel wont go in the upper really?....lol

washguy

Hi Guys    For the first time ever...just couldnt get it in <laughs>

For the last two days ive been trying to fit a 6.8 barrel into a mega monolithic. Okay,so i sanded off the melonite off the extension....lubed everything...no go all the way....you cant see the pin on a monolithic and you cant get to the upper cylinder

from the muzzle side cause of the one piece rail. and if you try to use the barrel nut to push it on its bad juju sez directions...of course you would never do that anyway.....so yesterday it was the freezer for the barrel and a hair drier for the upper...no go  in all the way.....daaaamn ..and trying from inside the reciever the finish laffs at you with any kind of sandpaper <laughs>  if it wasnt a monolithic i could get to the upper with a dremel...but no that wont work with this mono and it wont fit thru the upper either...and nope a flex dremel wont work...daaamn im starting to get teed off <lmao> looks like a trip to harbor freight....dunno why I wanted to go there ,but something whispered to me <laughs>

So,im walking the aisles in the automotive section....Ahhhh what have we got here? <laughs>  Its a brake  cylinder hone 1" 1/8 with three lil hone blades on a stem 9" long...

10 bucks.  So I was able to enter the upper from the butt stock end and have the hones in the reciever cylinder with bout an 1" sticking out so I was able to use my battery powered drill. Hell Yes!  I kept tightening down the hones and finally that bad azz teflon coating from Hell came off !

the barrel... finally after days of struggle fit right on in! <laughs>  best ten bucks ive spent in a while :)  Wash

I have found an oven on keep warm or *200F works MUCH better than a hair dryer. I had a tough fit on my Hogan monolithic upper and barrel that wouldn't go together at all with a hair dryer and freezer. I slapped the upper in the oven @ 200 and the barrel in the freezer. They were still a tight fit but went right together with a little pressing and torque on the barrel nut.