• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Processing Brass

MikedaddyH

The last 4 trips to range I have picked up a lot of brass. Besides my brass mainly 9mm. I picked up 900+ , 825 , 335 of .223 brass and 1700+ 9mm brass also 380 40&w brass.  Plus a bunch of misc calibers.

I have washed or polished all of it , decapped and sized all of the rifle and pistol calibers which I load. The pistol calibers were sorted per manufacturer then I primed the 40s&w with WSP and CCI 550 primers. The 9mm were primed with Fed100, Win WSP, Win WSPM, CCI 550, Rem 1.5 . I put tha same primer with mfg brass this time.

The 223 brass is in various stages of prep: 100 ready to load , 4x 143 ready for I/O champher , 5 x 143 ready to trim , 350 ready to size. I have CCI 41 & Win WSR primers with 450 bullets left.

I have been buying up small pistol primer when ever I can find them now I'm using small pistol magnum primers because the stores are out of what I need.  Is anyone else having problems with primer supplies lately ?

Mike I started reloading in 2008, and remember the primer shortages then.

So I stocked up early this year.  Stocked up

While it hasn't been as bad as it was from 2008-2010, the supply is a bit slower.  Last time I checked Sportsman's Warehouse here they had mostly everything, as far as primers are concerned.

Jon

During the last election prices went up on ammo and supplies. I remember 40s&w ammo went up $10 a box then came down $5 and has stayed at that level since.

Went to Sportsmen's Sunday and picked up 700 Win WSPM primers they had zero small pistol primers in stock. Two weeks before I got a box of Win WSP and 200 CCI 550 & 100 Fed 100 primers.

I'm hoping since we left Iraq, that will ease the pressure on supplies a little bit. I'm currently stocked on everything but some Unique powder for my .45 and 9mm reloading hoping to pick some up at the next gun show before the election. Could use anther 1000 primers for each caliber that I reload but I have enough for now.

Is anyone else having problems with primer supplies lately ?

Having problems, here.  I've been buying locally, at higher prices (prefer to do that normally).  When the local prices are WAY higher than what I can get on the 'net, I try to go to the 'net.  Online sources are tough to find now, with repeatability - there are some short supplies out there. 

I mostly reload .223/5.56, and I always sort that brass separate, and only use CCI primers.  I've been grabbing whatever CCI 400s and CCI 41s that I can, and put those into the respective cases that I have.  If I'm low on 400s at the time, I load 41s in the 5.56 instead.  Vice versa. 

It's tough out there right now.  I hope that changes soon.  <thumbsup>

When your buying small pistol primers and there are only 3 boxes of a 100 on the self then thats what you can buy !

That's when you find the oldest dude working, pull him aside and say "Psst!"  flashing him a $20, then say "I know you have some primers stashed in the back."  He'll look around slowly while taking the $20, then say "Let me check in the back a minute."

Jon

Ok guys I DEPRIMED some 10mm ,7.62 x 39 , 6.8mm spc & 300wsm. Then washed them. Turned out great , shiney and spotless.

I'm bringing this up because I have been washing my pistol caliber casings for a while and experimenting with cleaning solutions. I have been using a wide mouth plastic bottle and filling it with ammonia, vinegar, lemon juice, CLR, dishwashing liquid and water. Shaking the bottle for 20 to 30 minutes and rinsing the cases once with Joy/Dawn ,then with water. I also clean the primer pocket with Q-tips. Then the casing are placed upside down in a tray to dry. I am still adjusting the mixture, some mixes clean better than others.

Ok guys I DEPRIMED some 10mm ,7.62 x 39 , 6.8mm spc & 300wsm. Then washed them. Turned out great , shiney and spotless.

I'm bringing this up because I have been washing my pistol caliber casings for a while and experimenting with cleaning solutions. I have been using a wide mouth plastic bottle and filling it with ammonia, vinegar, lemon juice, CLR, dishwashing liquid and water. Shaking the bottle for 20 to 30 minutes and rinsing the cases once with Joy/Dawn ,then with water. I also clean the primer pocket with Q-tips. Then the casing are placed upside down in a tray to dry. I am still adjusting the mixture, some mixes clean better than others.

I've read on various reloading forums that ammonia can make brass brittle. Might want to check on this I can't tell you for sure that this will happen but read it enough that I avoid products that contain ammonia when cleaning and polishing brass take care Mike.

Ok ... Yes I knew about the Ammonia, the key is exposure time and neutralization of the solution on the brass. Once it is rinsed it should be ok.

NH3 is in so many cleaning products, just read the labels. I have read about various cleaning solutions on a bunch of different forums.  Been using about 1 once of ammonia in a 64 oz jug.

Deprimed all the 308 brass from the weekend shoot on Wednesday. Yesterday I ran two batches of 75 casings each with 308 brass , the cleaning solution worked great. Used a test tube scrubber on the rifle casings during the rinse then Q-tipped the primer pockets and let them dry all day.Trimmed and I/O champhered then added primers last night after work, ready to load. Turned out great !