• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stainless steel Ithaca 1911??

draco41

I just went to one of my local gun stores and was asking the clerk about any 1911s they might have.( looking to buy a new one) After leaving the store I was approached buy an older gentleman who said he had a stainless Ithaca 1911 for sale, asking price ,$400. we exchanged names and numbers and I said I would contact him. Well when I got home, I did a search on the web and found nothing at all about any stainless steel Ithaca 1911s. has anyone here seen or heard of such a beast? <dontknow>

I did a lot more research and found that Ithaca stopped making 1911A1s in 1945 and had never made a stainless one. There are a few out there that are nickle plated and some that are chromed but they were done after WWII to surplus guns. as far as value, from what I have read, doing that destroys the value of the handgun. $400 is about the going rate for a nickle plated or chromed one.

• 3 weeks later...

My thinking is that if the slide action is even reasonably good,  the rest of the parts can be readily replaced.  If you are not comfortable inspecting the gun,  take it to a qualified gunsmith and pay for a definitive opinion.  New barrel and bushing from Brownell's,  springs,  good sights (probably has the military issue type sights) and for a modest price create a fine shooting gun.  (Keep the original parts safe in a zip-lock,  never know what the future may bring.)  A M1911 built to mil-spec's will accept appropriate parts interchangeably and shoot 45 ACP,  38 Super,  9 MM Luger just by field stripping and putting back the proper pieces.  The magazines will all fit but you need one for each caliber you shoot adjusted or modified appropriately.  The WW-2 feed ramp will not like a lot of ammo:  ask your gunsmith about fixing that?  Just thinking about it is making me drool. :-)

• 5 weeks later...