• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mauser Project

Matt.Cross

Well, for quite some time now I've been looking for a Mauser action to blueprint, true the action, rebarrel, and outfit with a custom stock. I'm in the process of purchasing a barreled Mauser action with action, bolt, trigger assy, and floorplate. I don't really know the condition of the barrel yet, probably doesn't matter, I intend to rebarrel it anyways as part of the rebuild.

I'm curious as to who knows what here about the Mauser and what I'm getting myself into here. Any and all ideas/suggestions/trivial knowlege/important thing to know, all input is welcome here. I'm asking for a total education about the Mauser, GO!

Aw man!  You should've asked me like 13 years ago!  <laughs>

If we're talking military Mausers, they're most often broken down into large-ring and small-ring.  The later most commonly seen variant is the Swedish 6.5x55.  The former being the 8x57 Mauser. 

The large-ring came in more designations with slight variations than Tom owns firearms...a LOT of little tweaks here and there!  Things like bent or straight bolt-handles, barrel lengths, barrel bands, sights, bayonet lugs, etc., are what most of the little tweaks were across the production runs.  As you've probably discovered, most tweaks end up being named after the nation that requested such differences...Peruvian, Bolivian, Czech, Mexican, etc.

The ones with number type designations are usually German issue...G98, K42, and so on.

Study all you want or need to.  It will make your head spin.

Mostly it boils down to large-ring or small-ring, which determines the size of the front of the receiver where the barrel threads into the receiver.  These threads have changed over time but far-and-away almost everything after 1898 has the same threads, on the large-rings.

All this research was done when I was able to pick-up two Turkish Mausers in 8mm Mauser, for like $60 each when I had the gunshop still.  The goal was to rebarrel or restock them.  Indecision led to surplus 8mm at $120/2,000 rounds drying up.

The best thing going now (for me) is the Brownell's military profile barrels in .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield, coupled with a Boyd's laminated military stock set.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Huge sucker for the small ring Swedes checking in!  I have M94, M38, and M96 Swedes.

Having said that, a large ring Mauser action will allow the builder to complete a rifle in more calibers than the small ring action would.  There are some decent Turk actions still out there but one would have to carefully check everything before using one to build a custom rifle.  The Turks weren't exactly known for careful maintenance on their weapons.  In addition, a Turk is a bit of an oddball in the Mauser world since it is a large ring action but takes barrels threaded for small rings.

At one time I was all amped to build a custom rifle but the cost gets up there pretty quickly as there can be a lot of gunsmith time involved.