• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Free Float vs Drop In Rail ?.

Why is a free float rail so much better than a drop in rail (tube) ?, does it really make that much difference in accuracy ?.

Ive been looking at the Superior Weapons System E1 free float tube rifle model, and I will probably get it, and that brings me to my next question, how hard is it to install it on an AR 10 ?. I have never done this before and have no idea how to do it, I also have none of the tools needed to do it.

Would I be better off finding a gun shop that can install it for me ?.

The SWS E1 is a really good handguard. It does take some time to ensure that it is level and straight though.

I have installed one on my rifle. 

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_02131.JPG

If you need it installed, either find someone that is familiar with this system or depending on how much beer you have, I could install it...  <thumbsup>

But unless you are looking for accurasy or function will determin if you want to free float or use drop in handguards.

The positive of a FF tube vs a drop-in handguard is that the device won't interfere with barrel harmonics as much. This gives a slight increase in accuracy at long distance.

Having the right tools makes the job easier. If you don't mind spending the money for the tools, then do it yourself. You'll get a slight bit more satisfaction.

Having a smith do the swap will save you a little money on tools.

The SWS E1 is a really good handguard. It does take some time to ensure that it is level and straight though.

I have installed one on my rifle. 

If you need it installed, either find someone that is familiar with this system or depending on how much beer you have, I could install it...  <thumbsup>

Usually accuracy AND function go out the window, once enough beer is involved.  <laughs>

But the fun is still there.

I've installed a couple of them and if I recall correctly, you get a barrel nut wrench and two differently timed barrel nuts when you order the SWS rail. I consider it to be a top of the line rail. Besides the provided wrench, you should also get an upper vise block that allows you to hold the upper in the vise without damaging it when you torque the barrel nut down. The E1 also has a hole in the back that allows you to use a pin to lock it in place radially on the upper but you will need to drill a matching hole in the front of the upper if you want to utilize it. If you go with the E1, I believe that you'll be very happy with the quality. Good luck