• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finally picked it up! AP4 308, with pics! Adjustable gas block options?

2009 manufacture DPMS AP4 308. Bastards at the shop wouldn't let me pick a newer model, so I got stuck with a 5 series serial number.

So I'm probably going to be running into the extractor, overgassing, and tight chamber issues. Any other issues I should know about?

I installed the YHM QD silencer mount last night, and will be taking it out to break in/test fire this afternoon. I'll be swapping the flash hider type QD mount for a Brake YHM QD mount in the future (as the brake acts as a secondary blast baffle), but with 6-8 months to wait on my Form 4 to clear, no real hurry. It's a heavy rifle, so recoil won't be bad. I suppose I could order the brake early, just to make it obnoxiously loud in the meantime...

When I took it apart after getting it home, it was DRY! So I completely disassembled it, oiled everything, and played with it, moving the bolt back and forth until everything moved freely. I then reassembled, and cycled it about 100 times, to further break it in.

So I get to go through the long, bring process of firing one round, then cleaning, for 25, then every ten for 100 rounds. I have a bunch of old surplus brazilian M80 ammo I plan to use. Got it in a trade, and didn't want it in the first place, and my Tikka T3 Tactical 308 doesn't like it much.

I plan to use PRVI 145/147 grn ball ammo as the regular food, as it shoots sub MOA in the Tikka. I'll see what some heavy PRVI match ammo does, as well. I was told by a few guys on here with the same LR308, that they shoot sub moa with the PRVI ball in their AP4s, so I'm optimistic.

Now I just have to wait on Midwest Industries to release the DPMS compatible 308 free float tubes, and install an adjustable gas block, both for the silencer, and for overgassing.

Pics:

SAM_0552.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g370/IndustrialRescue/SAM_0553.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g370/IndustrialRescue/SAM_0554.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g370/IndustrialRescue/SAM_0555.jpg

Well, it was sold as "new" since it had never had a 4473 filled out before. Brand new in box, just been sitting for a few years. I already know I HATE the 1975 Brazilian ammo, but there's only about 100 rounds or so, so I'm just going to use it to break this rifle in. Probably just shoot into the dirt for the majority of the time, once I get the sights zeroed for 100 yards.