• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

thumb hole slidefire stock?

meminind

Having just watched Obama name his pet monkey Biden to oversee a new "assault weapons" ban and remembering how Biden was involved with the previous ban that determined rifles with thumbhole stocks were not near as dangerous as black rifles with pistol grips and bayonet lugs, I was wondering how long before some company, possibly Solyndra, could start producing thumbhole stocks for the AR platform? Perhaps all who voted for this should wait and get one in pink. 

I have several FAL type rifles that were imported during the previous weapons ban and so had the threaded end of the barrels cut off because "everyone" knows how much more dangerous a muzzle brake makes a rifle. The people screaming the loudest about guns know the least. Too bad though, because they're the ones writing the laws. I am quite sure though that their body guards will still have high capacity mags.

Thumbhole stocks have a negative stigma attached to them because of their role in the last ban, but they were not invented for it and have in fact played a valuable role in the history of firearms.

An AR-15 with one? You can easily make one look good. Ever heard of the HK SL-8? I think it'd be pretty easy to get that look out of an AR-15.

Mechanically speaking, I personally like thumbhole stocks for their added surface area, giving extra room for firmly gripping the gun in odd positions and; if made right, even extra "locking" of the gun during off-hand shooting (same principal as the sling wrapping trick.

In other words, thumbhole stocks are ideal for riflemen and have their value in an Ar set up as a sniper rifle.

That said, thumbhole stocks are perhaps my no1 specialty in stock making and I know as well as anyone how hard it is to make them useful in the above applications. I have strong doubts that many; if any manufacturers will be exploiting these values.

My advice on thumbhole stocks. Treat them like a tactical version of a target rifle stock or grip. Don't just go buy some random toy because it looks cool and holds up well. Look for custom made stocks by people who know their trade.

I know it's long and a little annoying but you should check out my tutorial on making an M-14 thumbhole stock. In the video, I covered allot of the things you should look for in a properly made thumbhole stock.

MaDuce- You completely missed the point. I'm sure your rifles are cool and just what you want. The thread isn't about which particular attribute "they" find offensive on my rifles, it's about the fact that they want to take away freedoms in the name of security. Ben Franklin said "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety!" Another way to say it is "Whoever trades freedom for comfort soon has neither." I still have some rifles with thumb hole stocks, like I said, you missed the point.

No, I was just being a sarcastic jerk,sorry. Obama was still on TV when I posted. It just makes me so angry I have to vent.      Thumb hole stocks will probably be a viable market though. It just might be your chance to get into a higher tax bracket because you know "they" are going to do something about our guns.

At this point, I have no desire to be directly involved in the firearm industry, apart from the typical occasional private trading with individuals now and then. My experience with the firearm industry has not been very good. Same lying, cheating, theft and overall sleazyness as any other industry.

No surprises from Obama. I expected no less from him.