• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

following the "have you read thread" Do you read, if so what?

SPBCTS

I have been a reader since I was introduced to the "Tom Swift Jr." series as a grade school kid.

Read all the westerns, read all the time. Always have three or four books going.

Some of the best stuff I've read ,lately..

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. He was a slick pilot in Vietnam, went in with the Cav when they went over for the first time. Great book if you are into flying or real life type stuff.

"Cigars, Whiskey, and Winning;Leadership Lessons with Ulysses S. Grant"

by Al Kaltman

Outstanding dissection of the journals and notes from U.S. Grant's personal journals and notebooks, some amazing conclusions and very revealing about the thought process of the man who lead the Union Troops in the Civil War. I read it for the first time when prepping for the Lieutenant's Oral Board 10 years ago. Seems like I read it once a year now. Great read for LEO types or those interested in history and leadership in general.

Killing Lincoln..Bill Oreilly...really a different look.

"The Iranian Rescue Mission, why it failed"

Paul B. Ryan.

An older book that details the attempt undertaken by order of Pres. Jimmy Carter.

Ryan was a retired Navy Captain who basically took apart that mission piece by piece and laid away the problems, faults, etc.

I believe our military infrastructure learned a lot from that debacle, I just wish our the memory of our political power structure was better at retaining these lessons. Reading it will give you a real insight as to where we were, and how far we have come.

For firearms folks:

Anything by David Grossman or Jeff Cooper.

Deadly Force Encounters by Dr. Alexis Artwohl.

General reading:

America B.C. by Dr. Barry Fell, highlights various discoveries in the Americas demonstrating without a doubt that there was pre-Columbian travel around the world, much of it well before Christ.

Operation Overflight by Francis Gary Powers, the autobiographical account of his being recruited by the CIA for the U-2 program, ultimately being shot down over the USSR.

Black Sheep Squadron by Greg "Pappy" Boyington, another autobiography he starts by relating his being recruited into General Chenault's Flying Tigers, prior to the USA entering WWII.

The Real Rescue Of BAT 21 (forget the author), dozens of interviews about the real events surrounding the movie BAT 21.  A Douglas EB-66 ELINT bird was shot down over Vietnam, and the surviving full-bird Colonel had knowledge of everything...from our codes to our nuclear defenses to weaknesses in our radar coverage.  Full court press to rescue this guy.

Entertainment:

Any of the All Creatures Great And Small books by James Herriot.  You will laugh...hysterically, with tears streaming down your face and little squirts of urine.  One great communicator and writer.

Scientific:

Kon Tiki and also Aku Aku, both by Thor Hyerdahl.  Thor and a team of scientists built a raft out of balsa wood logs and sail across the Pacific Ocean, to test the theory that Polynesia was initially inhabited by immigrants from South America.  Aku Aku documents Thor and team's efforts to solve the mystery of the giant statues on Easter Island.

Anything by Tom Clancy.

Anything by Dean Koontz.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  A post-apocalyptic fight between good and evil.

Geeky Stuff:

Anything to do with various types of machining...metal cutting, turning, spinning, punching, bending, stretching, properties of metals.

Anything to do with alternative power/engines.

Jon

flyer I am with you on Clancy. Since Red October he has been the one. Vince Flynn is another.

Are you old enough to remember the Ra Expeditions movie that Hyerdahl did, or had done, about his first voyages? I was a teenager and it mesmerized me.

I read most of Cooper's stuff years ago when I was running the FTO team. He and Ayoob both.

If you want a video that will teach the unteachable about edged weapons, get ahold of the training video "Surviving Edged Weapons"

Very much to the point.

Sounds like I need to get America BC. That subject matter intrigues me.