• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

accurizing my new RRA 308 predator

Zombie Tested

k...here goes...just walked in the door frm the range...could only shoot at a hundred yrds today...must use lead free ammo in central calif for hunting...Barnes vor tx 168 gr shot a little over 1 inch group..Federal Barnes X 165 gr also shot well...E tip 150 gr did not...Remington core loc 150 gr wrks ok...the cheapy stuff (UMC and amer eagle 150 gr FMJ didnt but doesnt matter anyway)...Fusion 150 Gr so so...today it would jam wth a live round in the chamber and the bolt closed...and it would double tap......the rest of this i wrote ysterdy .....and edited a little....

i received my upper mon dec 24 and had everything ready to go that day and shot

it at the range...rifle has geissele match trigger wth 2 1/2 lbs pull,RRA solid scope mount and weaver gland slam scope torqued to spec...used caldwell front and rear sand bag...wont b using low grade ammo anymore...the spent brass has numerous dents, dings...DSA mag is also scratching the brass...there are brass chips on the cleaning patch...i do have an old FAL mag that doesnt scratch as much...can anybody give me any feed bac on the problems i have described ?...i was using a screen to catch the brass so thats not the problem...thanks..

k...here goes...just walked in the door frm the range...could only shoot at a hundred yrds today...must use lead free ammo in central calif for hunting...Barnes vor tx 168 gr shot a little over 1 inch group.

The Barnes VOR-TX loaded ammo uses the TSX projectile, solid copper, as you know - it's alot longer than another round of it's same weight, and that's because of the construction - solid copper. 

What's your barrel twist?

.Federal Barnes X 165 gr also shot well...E tip 150 gr did not...Remington core loc 150 gr wrks ok...the cheapy stuff (UMC and amer eagle 150 gr FMJ didnt but doesnt matter anyway)...Fusion 150 Gr so so...

Other factory loaded rounds are working better than the 168-gr VOR-TX...  Again, barrel twist?

today it would jam wth a live round in the chamber and the bolt closed...

Define "jam."  Failure to Extract?  Failure to Eject?  Locked up the BCG with a spent round in the chamber?  How did it jam, with details? 

and it would double tap......  ..rifle has geissele match trigger wth 2 1/2 lbs pull,

Adjust that trigger - something's not right with the setup, for your rifle.  Even if you didn't touch it, and installed it out-of-the-package, something needs tweaked.  You need to focus on the Disconnector, first, and it's adjustment range.  IF you messed with it, you need to look at everything you adjusted.  What "Match" model is it?  - There are three "Match" triggers from Geissele.

...the spent brass has numerous dents, dings...DSA mag is also scratching the brass...

Use different mags.  No joke, if the mags are doing it, and it's not acceptable to you, then get rid of them.

there are brass chips on the cleaning patch...

That is not a big deal on a new rifle.  That happens during break-in.  If it gets worse, chips get bigger, chips occur more often, then your problem is getting bigger, and you need to find out why.  If it's happening on a new gun, keep shooting, and watch progress.

i do have an old FAL mag that doesnt scratch as much...

Answers the last one, in a way - you need to find more old FAL mags.  It's leaving your brass in better shape than that DSA mag.

See my comments in RED.

Barnes Vor Tx 168 gr wrked the best...Federal Barnes X 165 Gr was a close 2nd...1-10 twist...it would cycle a live round into the chamber then the trigger was locked like the bolt didnt close all the way..(burrs in the chamber ?)..i would pull the bolt bac and it would eject...trigger is Hi Speed National match trigger, match rifle...im gunna read up on the trigger first thing in the morn...i had Addax tactical install the trigger...im gunna guess they didnt monkey around wth it to much...im gunna stick wth the FAL mag for now...i had to insert a block of wood into the mag to make it calif legal...im lucky i got one !...lol...i will get some Fed Gold Match 168 Gr...im gunna shoot at 200 yds tomorrow after i read up on trigger...pretty hard to live wth double tap and a locked bolt though...

1)Your bolt isn't locking the hammer down, and 2) the disconnector isn't catching the hammer once you fire.

1) It won't fire when you pull the trigger, because the hammer already went back up (wasn't caught)

2) You doubled because the disco didn't stop the hammer after you fired, OR...

3) You didn't hold the trigger to the rear, in which the disco would have caught the hammer, and by not doing that, the hammer went forward again (because of #1)...

Definitely look at the trigger adjustments first.

dropped the rifle off at Addax so they can adjust the trigger...the malfunction is just as u described...they knew exactly what u were talking about...they couldnt test fire the rifle 10 months ago when they installed the trigger cause i didnt have the upper yet...yes it took 10 months to get the upper...RRA specs say the predator rifle weighs 8 1/2 lbs...it seems alot heaver than that...but i like a heavy rifle...i shoot better under hunting conditions...i was already looking at 308 standard operator or something just a little bit lighter...holy poop...they weigh over 10 lbs...and this time it will probably take two yrs to get it !!!..lol