• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How to install forward assist on LR .308 upper?!?

6shootr

Hi guys, like the title says.  I know how to do the forward assist on a normal ar-15 but can't figure out how to do it on the lightweight LR 308 upper.  I put the pin in from the top and the forward assist just locks stiff and you can't move it.  I know on the ar-15's you put it in from underneath but i'm not seeing how that's possible on the LR 308 upper.  Can anyone help?

IMO you don't need to install one. The bolt is bigger & heavier on 308AR. It slams back to battery with authority every time. I know at least that the SR-25 does not even incorporate a facility for an FA, at least the older ones don't but I don't know about new ones. And besides that the bolt carrier I have does not have any serrations for a FA anyhow.

What I did. I went to hardware store and bought a black chrome bolt cover thingy. The kind that a custom car guy would utilize under the hood of his bitchen car. I found one that fits inside FA hole perfectly, I think it's 1/2" diameter? I used red loctite to make it stick.

Looks great!!

IMO you don't need to install one. The bolt is bigger & heavier on 308AR. It slams back to battery with authority every time. I know at least that the SR-25 does not even incorporate a facility for an FA, at least the older ones don't but I don't know about new ones. And besides that the bolt carrier I have does not have any serrations for a FA anyhow.

What I did. I went to hardware store and bought a black chrome bolt cover thingy. The kind that a custom car guy would utilize under the hood of his bitchen car. I found one that fits inside FA hole perfectly, I think it's 1/2" diameter? I used red loctite to make it stick.

Looks great!!

You may want to consider what is going to happen if your reciever becomes pressurized with that plug in the FA hole. I suspect that it would be the weakest point and become a projectile that would blow back at your face. If you are going to skip installing a real FA then you may want to consider this http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m16-1/upper-receivers-parts/upper-receiver-parts/ar-gas-vent-for-suppressed-ar-rifles.html  I have not used this product nor do i own it but I suspect it would be better than a half way attempt at plugging the hole.

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to consider what is going to happen if your reciever becomes pressurized with that plug in the FA hole. I suspect that it would be the weakest point and become a projectile that would blow back at your face. If you are going to skip installing a real FA then you may want to consider this http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m16-1/upper-receivers-parts/upper-receiver-parts/ar-gas-vent-for-suppressed-ar-rifles.html  I have not used this product nor do i own it but I suspect it would be better than a half way attempt at plugging the hole.

Oh crap that never occured to me. Damnit, your right that is a big concern. Thanks, DrDover!!