• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

870 Hammer replacement

survivalshop

I'm starting this in the shotgun section now because its more about the 870 than general . It's in the General section under "Muzzle in safe direction "

Short story , while hunting this past gun season in Ohio , my 870 fired a sabot slug into the ground , I had it on a single point sling & muzzle was pointing behind me & at the ground of course , safety on & my hands .arms were resting on the butt stock.

This 870 had a trigger job done three years ago & had a nice 4# consistent pull . The hammer sear just pulled or sheared off , the hammer would not reset after that .

So much for a short story , but I pulled it all apart , got an" Accuracy Speaks " hammer kit from Brownells Replace it , with the kits sear replacement spring & after some fitting of the new pin to the slide latch/disconnector & peening the end of the pin in the washer provided , put the assembly back together & into the 870.

A trigger pull gauge showed I had a consistent 1.5 # trigger pull , not my kind of pull for a hunting shotgun , but I can not make it trip with out pulling on the trigger the way it should work .

The " Timmney 870 trigger fix"is next , comes with a set of three different spring weights . Might try the stock on also .

post-154-136297288633_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297288638_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297288648_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to picking up & installing the 870 fix by Timney triggers , nice part . Problem I have is the safety doesn't hold with the fix in , but if I put the stock sear in , it works just fine . I checked it out & the sear is being moved with just installing the trigger plate bushing . 

Could also be tolerance stacking between the new hammer & sear . I'm not new at this , so it shouldn't be much to figure out , just want to see what Timney says .

I will post some photo's after I get in touch with Timney to see what they say. Could be that the Smith that did the trigger work ,did some thing to the trigger , who knows .

I also have a new trigger assembly( with gold trigger ) & a trigger( for a spare ) , just to play with it if I find more was adj. on the trigger when the trigger job was done.

I think the whole problem is the Accuracy Speaks trigger , its set up far too light for the purpose I intended the use it for .

If I use the factory spring & sear , it will Hold , but I don't trust it. If I use any of the different springs that come with the Timney kit , it will drop the hammer , if you squeeze it hard or pump the trigger.

I have a new 870 3" mag , & plan to compare the two together & set up the new carrier assemble from it & install the Timney kit into it ( with out the AS hammer) & see how it works .

When the factory sear spring & sear on the AS hammer ,I had between 51/2 # _ 6 # pull & it sucked eggs .

No matter what spring I used or how I adj. the adj on the sear , it was about 11/2 # pull . Not what I want for a  Hunting firearm. It even warns you in the instructions ,thats its for target guns.

I will keep this carrier assembly for spare parts & get another assembly for this 870 ( unless I like the way the new carrier assembly works , that I'm taking out of the new 870 shotgun .

I have plenty of photo's & will post them when all is done ,so we can see the solution .

1 1/2# pull on a shotgun?

I don't get it.  Totally different solution to the question "What's the best way to get a projectile to the target?"  When you're sending one projectile long distance, that 1 1/2# trigger may be an asset (rifles to hundreds of yards, pistols for target purposes)...but with a firearm sending a cloud of lead to the target, under 100 yards?

That being said, in the Brownell's Q&A for this product, they even give an ambiguous advisement against using it on anything other than a slug-only shotgun.

I'd buy a whole new trigger group from Remington, then have someone competent stone the engagement surfaces for you.

Then mess around with the spring set-up.

Jon

Well, this is on a DSG ( designated slug gun ) the original FCG had a professional trigger job done about three years ago( I didn't want to mess with it & the price was right ) & the hammer sear engagement surface failed & I had a acidental discharge while standing next to the road to our hunting camp.

I wanted some thing that was made better than the factory parts , at least better metallurgy.

I took the Trigger group out of the new 870 , I bought as a spare (got a deal from a friend , was never shot ) & since all the 870 mag trigger assemblies are the same now a days ( all plastic ) I fitted the Timney kit in & with the four pound sear spring in there I am getting a consistent 31/2 # pull & the safety works .

I did notice as I was comparing the two Trigger assemblies ,I did notice a crack in the shell carrier , which I never noticed before . Has nothing to do with the FCG ,but another reason to get a new trigger assembly for this shotgun.

I have a bunch of photos , just have to find time to get them from my camera card.

I ordered the trigger assembly today , last one for a 12ga. , super mag . Said the std 12,ga., mag would not work . The only difference I can see between the two is the 31/2 trigger assem. from my slug gun is the grove in front of the trigger guard . May be for the longer 31/2 shells , but I only use 2/34 slugs any way . 

I will do a more detailed comparison when it gets here.

post-11255-0-79531700-1367706167_thumb.j