• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hobby Uses!

planeflyer21

I love rifled slugs. In the hands of a decent shooter, there is no more devistating firearm.

I'm very tempted to try one of those 12gauge uppers in development.

Maybe you have a bit more insight in your position but...

In the North Hollywood fiasco, why didn't the po-po bust out the slugs?  Were they deemed "too much of a demonstration of force" by the political authority at the time?

Jon

Jon, body armor will stop a slug too, but it sure leaves a nasty bruise!

A guy on another forum was a career NMSP.

Relayed a story of one of his troopers confronting a felon on the run.  Felon shot the trooper with a .444 Marlin.

The bullet didn't penetrate.  It forced the unbroken kevlar into the troopers chest cavity, killing him in about 10 minutes.

Jon

A guy on another forum was a career NMSP.

Relayed a story of one of his troopers confronting a felon on the run.  Felon shot the trooper with a .444 Marlin.

The bullet didn't penetrate.  It forced the unbroken kevlar into the troopers chest cavity, killing him in about 10 minutes.

Jon

I've been in New Mexico since 1978 and in law enforcement since 1979 and I've never heard of any incident of that nature involving a NMSP officer and a 444 Marlin. I think the poster may have used an incident involving a friend and coworker of mine to make up his own story.

On July 25th.1979 Royce Bennet, a Deming Police Officer, pulled over a person he knew who had been drinking. When he approached the drivers door of the pickup the driver fired a 45-70 lever action rifle through the glass at Royce. As 2 other Deming officers rolled up to back him up they saw him backing away from the door and firing at the occupant of the truck, and they both told me his revolver dropped a little with each shot. One of the backup officers shot through the back glass, striking the receiver of the rifle. The shooter in the truck then slid down to the passenger side of the floorboard where he was drug out by one of the officers. The other officer went to Royce, who was by that time unconsciuos on the ground. Royce breathed his last breath in that officer's arms, before the ambulance even arrived. He was wearing a Second Chance vest, which I believe was about the only manufacturer of body armor at that time. The bullet from the rifle went through his name tag, breaking it in half and then penetrated all but the last 4 layers of kevlar. The remaining 4 layers and the inner part of the vest carrier were pulled into the right side of his chest approx. 4 &1/2 inches and severed a major artery which caused him to bleed out in a matter of only a few minutes. Royce was carrying a Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum and he fired all 6 rounds before collapsing. All 6 rounds (which it was later found were a mix of .357 and 38 Spec.) went into the door below the window and only a fragment made it through to hit the shooter in the foot. During the autopsy it was found that Royce had window glass in his eyes and probably couldn't see to aim.

At the time of the incident I was employed as a dispatcher and was hired as a patrolman shortly after that. I carried a .41 Magnum for the first 2 years of my career because of that incident, and never put my uniform on without putting body armor on first all through my career. Up to this point, Royce is the only officer in the history of the Deming P.D. to be killed in the line of duty.

Rest in peace my friend!

http://www.odmp.org/officer/1754-patrolman-royce-leroy-bennett

Maybe you have a bit more insight in your position but...

In the North Hollywood fiasco, why didn't the po-po bust out the slugs?  Were they deemed "too much of a demonstration of force" by the political authority at the time?

Jon

Also, at that time, LAPD did not issue slugs to patrol officers. That is/was a common practice with a lot of larger agencies. I know that Sacramento PD only allows Sgt+ to use/issue slugs, patrol has buck and AR's. High density metropolis areas frown on the over-kill ability of the 1 oz slug.... When I used to push a car around, I had a whole bandolier of slugs on my war bag!

Obviously 392heminut and I are two separate generations... Those old "Second Chance" vests were just what the name implied... a second chance. The ballistic we wear now is a LOT better. My vest (with plate) says that it'll stop a 12g slug.... I'm not standing around to find out if it works.

Rob, I don't think a plate would have helped in that situation, the hit was in the upper area not normally covered by a plate. I do agree that the kevlar weaves in the vests are much better now than back then. There's been a lot of knowledge gained about what works best since then. Those vests back then were bulky and hot!

Rene, thanks! That's been a long time ago. Royce's mom used to tell my wife how much I reminded her of him. That was one strong lady, and I don't know how she handled that the way she did. She passed away recently and is now home with her son.