• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

300 Blackout; .30 Cal from the M4 Platform

AAC and Remington have developed a new cartridge that fits standard AR mags, and can be fired from the M4/AR-15 platform.  Check it out:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/09/29/300-aac-blackout-new-caliber-new-mission/

http://300aacblackout.com/

This will probably heat up the M4 replacement info/debate some.  Gonna get interesting.  <thumbsup>

can any of these newer calibers succeed without NATO adopting them?

Not if it's intended to be a carbine for the total US Armed Forces.  There would have to be some pretty serious evidence that (this round for example) is far superior to service ammunition right now - for NATO to adopt it.  Without NATO adoption, it would never make it as a replacement firearm for the entire US Armed Forces. 

Now, on the other hand, SOF can just about buy anything it wants...  <thumbsup>

It sure isn't going to be the  next big hunting cartridge, a 170 gr 30-30 will blow its doors off. Lets see, they necked up the 5.56 to 30 and then pushed the shoulder back so it would be the same oal as the 5.56. It took how many years to figure this out. Anyone remember the 30 apache? I have to admit, I'm underwhelmed. Though I will concede it's probably a better cartridge than the 6.8 spc.

Its taken me a while to absorb all the data they have & I'm not done looking it over yet ,but I think this is a more practical idea then all the others out there .

The round seems to shine out of a short bbl.. I think rounds like the 6. what evers are trying to make them self's up to be on par with the 308 (not doing too well ether ) This round takes a whole different approach.

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing that the military has done with the M4 is introduce the new "M262" round, which has greatly improved the short and long range "killability" of the platform; the round has been highly praised by the soldiers who have used it. I seriously doubt that [with this new round] the military is going to go through all the trouble and expense to adopt a completely different caliber round or rifle any time in the near future.

I have these [M262] rounds, have tried them and they really are quite a step up from the "SS109" in use now, though the "SS109" still has it's place in the arsenal. I have also tried the "Privi Partizan" 75, grain .223, "OTM" rounds which closely mimmic the "M262", and I recommend them highly. The smartest thing the military could do is issue AR-308's to chosen soldiers in squads to cover the "higher power" needs of battles which arise, as that is a quick and inexpensive solution to those times when 5.56 doesn't "hit the spot". 

I may be wrong, but what I understand about this .300 Blackout round is it's a combination of the best things about a .30 Cal bullet from a 5.56 case.

Not sure on this, but I think the .300 Whisper is a 7.62 x 33 case (not sure on that case length). 

The traditional 7.62 x 39 is the Russian round -and the actual diameter of that .30 Cal bullet is .311, not a .308 like we are used to using as a ".30 Cal bullet."

The 7.62 x 39 USA round is a traditional .30 Cal round, in .308.  Case is an upsized .5.56 case with a 39mm length.

There is a 7.62 x 40 out there, as a 5.56 gun wildcat round.

The Blackout round is a 7.62 x 35 case (upsized 5.56 case) and used a .308 bullet.  Suppposedly, this case length is the magic - you can still load .308 bullets to 5.56 mag length, and it maximizes what you can load for a powder charge.  It doesn't have the case taper of a 7.62 x 39 round, so it feeds fine from USGI mags (and varients).