• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building versus Buying a DPMS LR-308

In my personal experience the gun cost a fair amount more to build myself then purchase directly from DPMS or one of their dealers. Quite the opposite of an AR-15.

Pro's of doing it yourself:

1. You get exactly what you want

2. Build it quicker then a special order from DPMS

3. Satisfaction of building it yourself

4. Spread the cost out over time

5. Develop an understanding of how the gun functions

Con's of doing it yourself:

1. Cost

2. Pain in the butt locating parts

3. Specialized tools, AR-15 wrenches, vise and action blocks don't apply

4. Warranty/Liability

5. Information vague and confusing

Opinions?

• 4 weeks later...

I recently just bought a LAR-8, but had been very close to going with DPMS. Although I would have bought it off the shelf, the pride in ownership and you get from something you build with your own hands can't be beat.  In fact I've been seriously considering building the DPMS anyway especially while Impact Guns has their sale on stripped lowers. With so many manufacturers now using the SR-25/LR308 upper, maybe, just maybe the cost of DPMS's uppers will come down a bit like magazines have.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree 100% with imschur regarding the pros and cons of building the rifle yourself; he's obviously done this before! For me, the pros have vastly outweighed the cons. When I started this project, I was under no specific timetable, so I was free to do it slow and order each component only after analyzing all the options (I don't know how many triggers I looked at before I decided to get the Geissele!). Also, the sense of pride of ownership you get by building the rifle yourself makes it something very special and unique; I like my Glocks, but I love my rifle. Finally, you WILL spend more money doing it yourself, but remember, guns can last a lifetime; the extra money may matter now, but it won't sting forever.

• 3 months later...

My DPMS LR-308 was an accident.  I read the Part 1 at RealGuns.com about building one of these and stopped by my local gunshop to get another opinion.  I was shown the thing 'complete' with stainless 24" fluted barrel and all the extras DPMS includes for $1195.  It will keep my budget wrecked for most of the rest of the year,  but that price was less than half of what I might have expected up to then and finding one of these on the rack was unfathomable.  The changes I want are easy.  I have already added Brownell's adjustable/customizable pistol grip and a set of backup flip-up iron sights.  CheaperThanDirt.com had a shooter's tripod and some Russian "Brown Bear"  soft point ammo for,  again,  a price I could not refuse.  I had a Nikon 6-18 x 40 in need of a rifle.  That is about as close as I got to a 'build.'  A couple of days ago I took it to the range for the first time,  fired some handloads and some of that "Brown Bear."  Results were good but the trigger that felt 'maybe OK' in dry fire HAS to go!  My question of the moment is whether to put a drop-in trigger into it or to send it back to DPMS for them to put their upgraded trigger into it?  Mulling that one over.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got an LR-208 with the 24 inch barrel. Yeh the triggers are lacking, I put a Rock River in and no more problem. Clean break at 4 1/2 pounds. There are a lot of triggers out there to choose from. I chose the RRA because it was 120.00 compared to 2 and 3 hundred dollars for the others Chip McCormic, JP, Gessle. After that long break in, it shoot great.

post-176-136297263467_thumb.jpg