• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fulton Armory 18.5 Med wt. S/S BBL.

survivalshop

Yes, I see this as well. My barrel is the next big decision in my first build. The purpose of the gun is to begin shooting at distance but I would like to keep it from being too cumbersome to serve other purposes( i.e. hunting, self proection). I have decided on the 18" part of the decision, and a rifle length gas system, but thats about it. Maker, profile, and CL vs. SS are still up for debate. The 18.5" SS on FA's site is a half lb heavier but $50 cheaper then their CL in the same length. The gun will probably never go full auto and besides the occaisonal mag dump will rarely see too much rapid fire. How much accuracy can I expect to be gained from the medium weight, or the SS aspect, of said barrel? How much difference does a half lb of barrel make in terms of lugging this thing around? Will a nitriding process make the SS barrel  as corrosion resistant as the CL(or close to it)?

How much accuracy can I expect to be gained from the medium weight, or the SS aspect, of said barrel? How much difference does a half lb of barrel make in terms of lugging this thing around? Will a nitriding process make the SS barrel  as corrosion resistant as the CL(or close to it)?

FA's 18.5" SS medium weight profile is a bughole barrel, I'll guarantee you it will shoot every bit as well as the person behind the rifle. That half pound isn't going to be very noticeable on the overall scale. I'd be thinking about the total weight of the rifle overall if I was going to carry it any considerable time or distance. Nitriding isn't going to give you any considerable gains on the corrosion resistance of SS in practical terms, unless for some reason you just like to store your rifle in a large puddle of saltwater for weeks at a time. You really can't beat that barrel, my personal opinion is that it's the best thing Fulton Armory ever put in their inventory, in terms of barrels. Ask anyone on this site who has bought that barrel about it, and I guarantee you won't hear anyone who has been disappointed with theirs.

Great information. Thanks Matt.Cross. I am trying to find balance on this gun. It will be my only 308, for the time being anyway. I dont want to sacrifice too much in the name of sucking weight, but its not to be a bench rest beast either. I already have the heavy car10 buffer and the 6061 aluminum receiver extension from pws so Im probably getting a little heavy on the back end, right?