• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My new DPMS LR308

This has been a long time coming with several starts and stops.  In addition to DPMS lower and 20" upper, I added:

• Troy low profile free-floating hand guard
  • Harris bipod on an
  • American Defense QD auto lock mount
  • YHM gas block with flip up sight, and
  • Geissele two stage trigger
  • Slash 308 heavy buffer

Installing the free-floating hand guard was the hardest part.  I bought three different barrel nut wrenches, none of which fit.  So I used a pipe wrench.  After that everything went smooth.  Fired 30 rounds so far to break it in without a single issue.

Next up is a quality scope (suggestions welcome, PLEASE).  Right now it's a cheap Pentax I already had on hand.  Then, camo job!

Picture is with detachable carry handle.

Future addition may be a butt stock upgrade, again, suggestions are welcome. 

Will the options ever end? ?????

Forgot to add, on advise from others here, I buffed the chamber for a few seconds using a cordless drill with a .410 mop and polishing compound while unfired. I was surprised at how much black crud ended up on the mop. Glad I did it, no issues to load or eject.

post-12941-0-00411800-1367123289_thumb.j

Edited by TexTenn59

• 1 year later...

I haven't done squat to my LR, it came just the way I like it, A2 stock and all. For me I wouldn't own a MIAD grip, I don't like spare parts for spare parts lying about. Anyway... I have a magpul MAG415 grip for reliable hand placement on my AR's. I haven't gotten around to replacing the grip on my LR, it's been nearly 3 years so I guess I'm not in a rush! My two scopes are a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 and a Trijicon5-20x50. Both are "reasonably" priced (I never thought I'd say that about a ~$1000 scope) and both are superbly made. I have QD mounts and use them on the LR and my Savage BATS. With scopes get the best you can afford. You can save a bunch on Leupold buying used. Their guarantee is for life of the product so there's no worries with getting it used.

I haven't done squat to my LR, it came just the way I like it, A2 stock and all. .

Confess... you have confessed a bit already, you have replaced parts on your rifle. You will find yourself doing it more and more.

I myself have a DPMS LR-308T, and in spite of pride of ownership -- having a rifle hated by libtards -- there was room for improvement. And so I did a few things, and then, several more.

You will find yourself doing the same if you frequent this rather esoteric site and attend to the discussions of others in a similar circumstance. No need to be bashful, you will get upgrades.

Bashful Nope. Upgrades? Nope, confess... to what? My gun came from DPMS as it is, WITH the A2 stock. Now if you consider adding a scope to a sightless gun an upgrade, I'll consider that an extreme statement. 

IMO, just about every AR-15 NEEDS something for my purposes, but the LR (IMO) needs little to fit my needs. Someday "maybe" a magpul grip, and "maybe" an extended charge handle latch, but it surely doesn't need any of them.

PS, I've been a lurker on this board for over two years and haven't been influenced yet! :-)

Edited by gnappi

Actually I joined here over 2 1/2 years ago, lurked and saw what you guys were doing with / to the LR with a lot of interest, cool stuff.

I've come to the conclusion that other than a few ergo adjustments that could be made for my purposes the LR is just what I needed, that being a backup if needed for my Savage BAT-S my "reach out and touch something" gun.