• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Failure to feed for a rookie.

Powerman

But I wasn't asking to fix my problem.

But then I was accused of trying to solve a specific problem and not giving all the info... which is not what I was doing.

Honestly, the way the whole thread went, it looked like you were asking for help, on a specific issue, and wanting help in fixing it - I'm just telling you from what I saw.  I was out of the whole thread, from about post #6, until I read the whole thing a couple days ago.

Look at it from the other's perspective, here.  It honestly looked that way.  I can definitely understand getting pissed trying to help someone, then finding out they're trying to use an extended-length custom 9mm buffer, because (a) they didn't know what to buy in the first place, or (b) bad product description upon purchase.  Been through it, the diagnosing, without sufficient details.  It's aggravating.  I'll give you another perspective to look at - motorcycle repair.  Someone calls you on the phone, gives very vague details about something, but then wants to know exactly what's wrong with their bike and exactly how much it'll cost to fix it.  Kinda tough to do, and it gets old after time. 

Just asking you to look at the other side, here.

It sure did look like you wanted us to tell you exactly what caused the specific issues.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then I was accused of trying to solve a specific problem and not giving all the info... which is not what I was doing.

Honestly, the way the whole thread went, it looked like you were asking for help, on a specific issue, and wanting help in fixing it - I'm just telling you from what I saw.  I was out of the whole thread, from about post #6, until I read the whole thing a couple days ago.

Look at it from the other's perspective, here.  It honestly looked that way.  I can definitely understand getting pissed trying to help someone, then finding out they're trying to use an extended-length custom 9mm buffer, because (a) they didn't know what to buy in the first place, or ( B) bad product description upon purchase.  Been through it, the diagnosing, without sufficient details.  It's aggravating.  I'll give you another perspective to look at - motorcycle repair.  Someone calls you on the phone, gives very vague details about something, but then wants to know exactly what's wrong with their bike and exactly how much it'll cost to fix it.  Kinda tough to do, and it gets old after time. 

Just asking you to look at the other side, here.

It sure did look like you wanted us to tell you exactly what caused the specific issues.

OK.... that isn't what I had in my head. But all you have is words on the screen. If that is how it came across, then that is on me for not being clear enough. If that isn't what I wanted, I should have just not talked about it at all. I wasn't looking to solve my specific problem in this thread. I was looking for a troubleshooting guide. I wanted to know what people look for and things they clue in on or how they begin to rule out things when they come across these problems. But then I screwed that up by discussing my specific problem when I was asked about it. My bad. I'll drop it.

I should have just not talked about it at all.

I don't see it that way, man - I'm glad you brought it up.  Now, we know what you're looking for - the process of troubleshooting on these things.  Now that it's known, drive on from here.

There IS a lot of info in this thread about that already - I hope you didn't think you received no answers.  The only reason I feel confident in a lot of my answers is this:  I've got over 20 years of experience watching Soldiers fcuk up weapons.  I've seen it all.  Some of those guys (and girls) could break an anvil in a sandpit.

I got plenty of good advice from everyone. I'll use it next time up. I'll number my mags. I'm going to use a couple of the new Pmags I have... just because they will be from a different lot. I'll just shoot small groups and get more fail to lock back. I am going to clean up my buffer tube and measure again it's 7 5/8". But I can move the bolt back another 1/4" past the bolt lock. I'm going to run some Mobil 1 since that seems prudent. And check my brass when it does happen. I'm going to take a look and get some picks when it does jam to maybe see what's going on. Just start from the begining. I do not think it is unreasonable to run more than a 100 rounds before it jams.

Oh, and I might just take my bolt apart and make sure the ejector is good. It was a brand new JP bolt, but it does not hurt to check.

Edited by Powerman

Haven't heard of any issues with JP bolts, or their ejectors.  You have to look at what's going on - if the spent cartridge is pulled from the chamber, the extractor is working.  If the brass is getting out of the rifle, the ejector is working.  If either of those things are not occurring, then look at the part that's not doing it's job.

If the rifle is clean, and all the parts work, it should run, almost flawlessly, until it's either too hot to run right, or too dirty to run right.  That should be thousands of rounds.