• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New AR 10 SASS

JEB

Just got the new SASS and the trigger has a pretty rough spot in it.

Everything else looks good so far.

Pretty good/OK fit between the upper and lower

Kinda surprised the" Match Grade "2 Stage trigger Armalite installs is not better.

I was hoping buy buying the SASS I could avoid upgrades altogether or at least for a while. Looks like a trigger upgrade may be sooner rather than later which kinda annoys me when paying this much for a firearm. I have had my eye out for an AR and went ahead and pulled the trigger especially with this new Governor we just got in Virginia. I have been a pistol and shotgun guy for personal defense and was looking for any tips on the break in for the new AR 10 SASS. One specific question is it OK to use 150 grain less expensive ammo to break in and then switch to 168 to dial it in. Also when keeping the weapon at the house when not being used for target shooting I was thinking of outfitting it with a 2 MOA red dot and a vertical grip/bypod.

Thanks

Welcome from Indiana brother JEB.We have an Armalite pusher,I mean guru who will come along and help you out.He is a crafty fellow. ^-^[/quote

Thanks, I'm looking forward to start the break in period next week.

I'm not new to firearms but the AR format is new to me.

When purchasing most anything I try and get the best I can get at the time and hope to avoid the move up and move up again and hopefully start at the end if you get what I mean. I pretty much fall into the function over form so probably not a lot of bling for me as well.

Thanks

JEB

Jeb, when breaking in run it dripping wet, soaking wet, slip sliding wet. Also try to break it in with quality American made .308 ammo, no surplus. It will frustrate you more than its worth .

As for your trigger, you may be disappointed, but if you decide it can't wait, I prefer the Gisselle trigger line. SSA for multiple purpose, SSA-E for strictly precision work. You won't regret it at all. Every rifle I own has one of their triggers.

Welcome to the site

Hey Jeb. I'd contact Armalite directly about the rough feeling trigger. They may be able to take care of that for you. The 2 stage trigger in my SASS (factory....haven't changed it out yet) is "buttery smooth". No grit, roughness or slop. As far as outfitting the thing with a red dot......I'm guessing that you have Popeye arms. <laughs> The SASS (mine at least) tends to add up in weight once you start fitting it out with accessories.

Break in. Well, everybody has their own opinion when it comes to break in. Armalite suggests the shoot, wet patch and brush method for the first 40 to 50 rounds. But, as I said, everybody has their own thing. Either way, you won't be disappointed. The AR-10 SASS is an outstanding weapon.

And just to give you some ideas............................................................

post-12568-0-43305000-1384056705_thumb.j

Jeb, when breaking in run it dripping wet, soaking wet, slip sliding wet. Also try to break it in with quality American made .308 ammo, no surplus. It will frustrate you more than its worth .

As for your trigger, you may be disappointed, but if you decide it can't wait, I prefer the Gisselle trigger line. SSA for multiple purpose, SSA-E for strictly precision work. You won't regret it at all. Every rifle I own has one of their triggers.

Welcome to the site

The Gisselle is the direction I was thinking as well.

Just kinda not happy about putting $$$ into a brand new rifle.

Probably would have going that direction at some point though.....

I found a store with a nice batch of ammo I think should be good for the break in.

American made, only 150 grain but a good brand

I shall run it very wet as you suggest.

Hey Jeb. I'd contact Armalite directly about the rough feeling trigger. They may be able to take care of that for you. The 2 stage trigger in my SASS (factory....haven't changed it out yet) is "buttery smooth". No grit, roughness or slop. As far as outfitting the thing with a red dot......I'm guessing that you have Popeye arms. <laughs> The SASS (mine at least) tends to add up in weight once you start fitting it out with accessories.

Break in. Well, everybody has their own opinion when it comes to break in. Armalite suggests the shoot, wet patch and brush method for the first 40 to 50 rounds. But, as I said, everybody has their own thing. Either way, you won't be disappointed. The AR-10 SASS is an outstanding weapon.

And just to give you some ideas............................................................

Nice looking gun!

Yeah, Ill have to get back in shape and down a few cans of spinach I guess.

" The older I get the better I used to be" comes to mind.

I will stick to the owners manual recommended break in, just checking for end user experience and tips.

I did call Armalite about the trigger and was directed to a tech note on the web site that involved shims, filing and or taking the trigger out etc.....Was told that if that didn't work to contact them again for the next step.....not impressed.......guess its just the luck of the draw...

Thanks for the info

JEB