• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Question

Trutracer

Hello Boys, New to the 308 AR world and need your help.Went to the Gun Show today and picked up a complete DPNS bolt and charging handle.Looking to get a DPNS SASS 308 AR Barrel. See the below details on the barrel:

Features:

• 18” Fluted Heavy Barrel
  • Chambered in 7.62x51mm
  • Machined from 416R Stainless Steel
  • Teflon coated matte black finish
  • 1-10 Twist
  • Button Rifled
  • Mid-length gas system
  • .936” OD at gas port (gas block not included)
  • 5/8-24 muzzle threads

Benefits:

• 18” Fluted Heavy profile provides a rigid and strong barrel for long distance shooting
  • Fluting provides weight reduction, while providing a more rigid than a standard barrel of the same weight
  • 5/8-24 muzzle threads and mid-length gas system are compatible with standard 308 AR components
  • 7.62x51mm chamber accepts military type ammunition, as well as 308 Winchester ammo

Will this be a good fit for my JD Mechine Upper? Thank you all in advance and sorry for the "NFG" question.

Best,

Trutracer

P.S.

Also picked up a DPNS lower parts kit for my JD Mechine lower receiver. Is this also a good call and is this another "NFG" question?

• 4 weeks later...

Which SASS gas block do you guys recommend?

Best,

Trutracer

To avoid any problems with barrel fitment, you need to get the one straight from DPMS - not "DPNS" by the way. 

Their barrel profile, their gas block, their gas tube.  Don't deviate from that.

• 5 months later...

I am also new to the .308 game. I jumped the gun and ordered a Troy industry low profile gas block it does not work. I then ordered a PRI gas block that is made specifically for the DPMS SASS barrel and it is on back order. So a gas block is holding up my whole build. I wish I would have found the forum first alot of great info.

Edited by jdover1966