• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5 Creedmoor Build

abooboo340

Knowing less than nothing, I bought a DPMS bbl in 260 Rem.   I  told my wife to  suprise me, and order everything else i needed.

She ordered a Rock River complete, except for bbl.

When the RR parts came, I had joined this board, and found that the parts were NOT supposed to go together!   Well, I'v ben a custom smith for almost 50 years, and so I miked and measured, and checked headspace, and found I could, in fact, put a DPMS bbl on a RR upper.

I had to open the gas port one size,  and just "kissed" the chamber with a finish reamer,but other than that, I'v got almost 300 rounds through her with NO malfunctions, and groups are generally all less than an 1" at 100yds.

Respectfully

Terry

I had White Oak Arms build my 6.5 creedmoor upper. Krieger barrel 26 inch, gas port moved fwd 2 inches. Shoots dang good. My only problem I had with it was all my mags that worked with my 308 upper would not feed ammo into my 6.5 C upper. Took awhile to find a fix for it. I've shot it out to 1,000 yds, no problems.

• 2 months later...

I bought C-Product 10 round mags, but at first the mag wouldn't work. I ended up taking the mag apart. I bent the very bottom and very top (last coil) of spring at the same angle as the ones in between. The first and last coil were originally parallel with the follower and bottom of the mag, also the coil is only half the length of the other coils. I can't explain why it worked, but the 6.5 C rounds would feed fine. The ammo has to be loaded to 2.795 as well, ammo loaded at 2.700 don't feed, so hornday ammo 120g bullets won't work in my gun. Don't know why but I always hand load my ammo so it's no big deal.

Does that mean pmags are probably out of the question if its meant for AR10?

Also, is it possible to headspace two barrels ( 308 & 6.5c) to use the same BCG? Im looking to use the same lower for 308 and 6.5c uppers. Would i need to change buffers if using slashes heavy buffer for the 308?

Does that mean pmags are probably out of the question if its meant for AR10?

Also, is it possible to headspace two barrels ( 308 & 6.5c) to use the same BCG? Im looking to use the same lower for 308 and 6.5c uppers. Would i need to change buffers if using slashes heavy buffer for the 308?

no the barrel and bolt don't seem to usually have much issue with what magazine, its usually more about the magazine well and what seats correctly in it.

And definitely if you're having the barrels made, or have a working 308 bolt/barrel combo and are having the 6.5 made, you can just send them that bolt to do the headspacing.

The DPMS mags should work, I did have mine for a long time. I bent the springs, made them longer and probably wrecked them in doing so. When I bought the C-products, I made small change before going crazy on it. But the first try on the spring fixed it and gun feed like a champ after that.

Maybe other people are doing fine who have a 6.5 C maybe they would say what they are using.