• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Question on barrel manufacture

Am working on dpms style .308. The barrel is a 24" SS bull barrel. It is stamped Red X on the barrel. The barrel came from brownells. I do not think Red-X makes barrels they are only a supplier but I could be wrong. Does anyone have any information? I plan on putting an adjustable gas block on and also having the barrel threaded for a brake. Before I go to the trouble I am trying to get information on the barrel so I can make a decision as to if  should order a new match barrel as I am making this build for long distance shooting. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Have you already shot the gun some and see if it's the nut behind the trigger that needs an upgrade before spending the money on a new barrel?

No I have not shot it yet. The nut has been partially up graded, total shoulder joint replacement, total knee replacement ,and the latest, lower back disk replacement with a couple of rods for dessert. (all less in the past two years) Perhaps a Lobotomy is in order. :auto:

also, what do you consider long distance shooting? the yards matter a lot. If you're trying to go past 1000, it might be worth thinking about going with a 6.5 creedmoor instead if you're pondering replacing the barrel anyhow. if you're thinking 600 yards as long distance shooting, then basically any 308 barrel would work like a charm, down to 10" pistol builds :D

also, what do you consider long distance shooting? the yards matter a lot. If you're trying to go past 1000, it might be worth thinking about going with a 6.5 creedmoor instead if you're pondering replacing the barrel anyhow. if you're thinking 600 yards as long distance shooting, then basically any 308 barrel would work like a charm, down to 10" pistol builds :D

At first I was thinking about 1000 yards but have reduced my expectations down to 800 yards as I have since ordered parts for a 260 remington bolt action build. 8 days to pick up. (waiting period left,thanks to Kommifornia law) The creedmoor sounds life a good round and I may just do that also. Thanks for the reply