• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My tube is a wigglin

Toolndie7

I just made a stainless adjustable gas block for my project. I needed a straight rifle length gas tube so I ordered one from Precision reflex Inc. Installed in the block perfect but where the tube goes through the recv it has a little movement. The OD of the tube steps down outside the recv near the barrel nut, Is this normal? I assume a little movement is ok to help engage the gas key w/ out binding but it just seems excessive to me? Havent had a change to measure it but its got me thinking. 

Edited by Toolndie7

There is a loose fit of gas tube in all AR Receivers , where it penetrates the Upper Receiver., the gas tube should be aligned with the Key on the Bolt Carrier,. if the gas block is set up properly. The play you speak of could be for expansion or barrel movement when fired  & yes the Barrel wips around pretty good with some barrel contours.

Tool Well I checked 3 different gas tubes that I have for spares,and none of them have a stepped down diameter on the reciever end.....then went to PRI and their gas tubes have a step down at the reciever....they sell the fat boy which has a smaller id and a regular tube...and both have a smaller diameter at the reciever end,so theres your prob....if it was me i would get another gas tube that doesn't have a step in it...maybe pri just uses a larger tube for od then steps it down?

:) Wash