• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how wet, how long?

Hey guys -

A total newb question.....I hear I'm supposed to shoot my new girl wetter than a .223 - well, how wet is that? For how long?

The dude i bought her from states he's done a 'proper' barrel break in with 100 rounds. Since i spent all of my allowance on her, i'd like to make sure i don't cause her (or me) any pain. Any feedback on what is best to use for lube?

I'm pretty new to AR platforms in general and looking for advice from those in the know before i learn the hard way.

Thanks

AK

Well, your choice of lube is up to you, I run light stuff, others have run motor oil... I simply lock the bolt back, and spray Rem Oil in the receiver area, then release the bolt and spray the bolt assembly with a light and even coat until the bolt locks home in the barrel extension. Since I clean between range sessions, the bolt is typically unlubed (though clean) until my next range day.

Thanks Guys!

When spraying the Rem oil do you just spray until it drips out the mag well, or just give it a quick shot? I'm picking up that it can't be too wet in there, it just seems counter intuitive to everything i've ever learned about rifles and such.

Would it make a difference in amount used if i decided to use motor oil? If i really do need that much lube, motor oil makes sense as it's designed for the heat. Would i use just a light film, or still have it sloppy?

Decisions, decisions.....

I use CLP & pull the BCG out. I have a pump spray bottle , just spray the BCG till dripping & wait a moment , give it a fling (in a direction you don't mind getting oil at ) & insert the BCG back into the upper .

Than a little spray on the FCG and you are GTG.

I will put small amount of Mil Spec grease on the lugs of the bolt ,most of the time ,but not always .

I believe Rem oil is CLP.

I do clean my firearms after every range session.

Just keep oil from the chamber.