• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

**AR Sniper's long range Build**

AR-Sniper

hey there guys and gals. so a few members encouraged me to post a build thread of my first long range Rifle build. i am new to long range rifles and will share my experience and ask for your advice when i need.
so enjoy and hope this will be educational as i plan to make this as detailed as i can. im no pro by any means, just a fast learning newbie. I strongly believe in good quality products and also the saying "Buy once, Cry once"

--UPGRADES I HAVE SO FAR--
trigger: Geissele SSA-E
Barrel: stock dpms 16" barrel
Hand guard: Troy alpha free float 12"
Stock: magpul PRS
Grip: Ergo with shelf
fore grip: magpul AFG2
Bipod: B&T atlas
bcm charging handle
Scope: Osprey (temporary solution)
scope mount: 20 moa rail adapter
Muzzle: Griffin Armament 7.62 flash comp (same as the M4SD ii just bigger and
well for my .308 thread)
im sure im forgetting more things.

--UPGRADES I WANT TO GET STILL--
-18" custom heavy barrel from John Benjamin (it is a highly recommended
barrel from lots of guys in the northwest.)
the guy is from southern OR
UPDATE: maybe a 20" still doing research. with my set up so far i hear that
anything after 20 you don't gain enough Velocity they say the sweet spot is
between 18-20" barrels
-upgraded BCG (need to do research before i pick one)
-on the fence between NF ATACR and the razor HD GEN ii 
(leaning towards the RazorHD though. waiting for more solid reviews) 
-and a good QD style mount. maybe something with a 20moa slope.

here is a few pictures of the gun as of a few weeks ago.
post-14648-0-02413800-1396558885_thumb.j
post-14648-0-89173800-1396558898_thumb.j
post-14648-0-07707700-1396558917_thumb.j

this is the very first group i shot from this rifle. actually its the very first group i shot from a rifle ever. after i zeroed using a lead sled. this is 100 yards from a bench. using bi-pod. it might not be all that but made me happy. 
post-14648-0-00253200-1396560155_thumb.j

here are another pics of my target i shot. they have more fliers on them because i was getting excited and paid less attention on duplicating my form and body position.
post-14648-0-83830200-1396560531_thumb.j

some pics from before (the way i got the Gun) sorry i dont have much. i wish i took more and better pics. it didnt stay this way for long. actually for about 2 days to be exact. i never even shot it this way. went straight for the build.
post-14648-0-36047100-1396560040_thumb.j
post-14648-0-18643300-1396560055_thumb.j

i got it from a friend that started the project.

forgot to post that i recently got my Heavy buffer in from Slash's at Heavybuffers.com AR10R-XH

let me tell you guys, this thing is worth the money.

i tested this back and forth between the stock one and this, with 180G match ammo and you can feel the difference. if i was to best explain the difference i would say that it felt like i was shooting about 145G bullets. thats how much of a recoil reduction i felt. like about 15-20% less recoil. IMHO

i don't have the exact science behind the exact difference in recoil but if me and 2 of my buddy's felt it, its worth it. not that im a female cat and cant handle the recoil... its more of why would i deal with the recoil if i dont have to.. this is my experience with this.

post-14648-0-15052600-1396562604_thumb.j

You've got a good start, you either loose or gain around 50 feet per second for every inch of barrel you add or cut. Your verticle stringing is breath control not sure what barrel twist and load your using. The Night Force vs Razor, well thats a tough call. Both are great scopes but one thing that I like about the HD over the Night Force is the power ring is independant of the eye peice so the flip caps dont rotate on you, but the ACTAR will hold its value and is one hell of a scope eiter way your good. 

Yes, the Vortex looks very nice, but quite heavy.  So, as long as it's for the bench or prone, it seems like a winner.  Especially that EBR-2c reticle!

Btw, AR-Sniper, do you have any contact info or a website for John Benjamin?  Are his barrels button or cut?  Do you know if he turns chrome moly or only stainless steel?

Thanks

Edited by D.R.D.

Yes, the Vortex looks very nice, but quite heavy.  So, as long as it's for the bench or prone, it seems like a winner.  Especially that EBR-2c reticle!

Btw, AR-Sniper, do you have any contact info or a website for John Benjamin?  Are his barrels button or cut?  Do you know if he turns chrome moly or only stainless steel?

Thanks

i will try to get this info. i know my local shop here works with him. i can give you there contact and you can call that shop and ask. they are very busy lately but if you leave a VM they will call back.

curt's discount shooters

google that. it will pop right up. they are in Oregon. great shop.

They've really seemed to address so many of the issues and features that many long range shooters have been asking for.  Their reputation, customer service, and the fact that they are a US company along with pretty decent glass has made them really popular.  I just don't understand why those scopes are so heavy.  They are over 2 lbs!  March offers the same thing or better at half the weight for a couple hundred more...but Vortex offers more/better reticle choices.  I'd love to see more semi custom options like what USO offers from more optics companies