• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ruger762 clone

Sarc1968

My first thread and my first 308 Armalite build.

So a few weeks ago I purchased a Matrix Aerospace upper and lower. Having build many AR15s I figured it wouldn't be much different.

So I have a few questions.

Is the only difference the magazine well dpms/ar10 and the rail height on the upper?

I want to build a 4 position, piston driven rifle and now I'm too afraid to buy anything but the handguard in case it's the wrong type.

A little push in the right direction would be much appreciated!

The basic answer is , yes.   We have a hard time keeping up with the DPMS designed 308 AR's & there rail heights . A piston system ? Do you have one in mind , that's available for a 308 based AR ?

The difference in the 308 based AR's is there is not much mil spec,  like the AR 15 based rifles , where fitment  from part to part is not a problem , too many variables & Proprietary parts from most manufacturers of the 308 based rifles. 

It can be done with the right parts ,but care must be taken in choosing components .

I would not recommend ANY of the piston conversion/retro-fit kits (ie; Osprey or Adams Arms) for a .308AR build. They are just not designed for that size of cartridge and I fear you'll be throwing away a lot of money in broken parts.

Look into LWRC, POF or PWS and see if they'll sell their system separate from their rifles.

^^^^^^^ Pretty much what Robo said. My son has an LWRC Reaper. I've got a POF P308. I'm not really sure if they sell their piston systems separately though. Their websites don't exactly show all of the parts as separate (buy-able.......yeah I know, that's not a real word) items.