• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mags falling out and failure to feed Help!

gunjunky

I have a standard ar 15 Magazine Catch in my 308 CMMG lower and the mag falls out after each round fired and I have Failer to feed issues. DPMS tolled me they only sell one type but the smith at AMMO bros told me I need to change it to a 308 type and I can't find one DPMS dozn't sell one nor doze brownell.

I have tried two DPMS 10 round mags same issue.

Help

I am not sure which CMMG receiver it is.  It takes LR 308 mags. and has a DPMS lower kit with a Bill Sprinfield trigger.  The upper reciever and barrel is Fulton the Bolt carrier group is DPMS.  I am in California so it has a bullet button.

I will post the pick as soon as I can.

I am sure the mags are seated.  I zeroed the gun yesterday it shoots great other than the mag drops and the failer to feed.  Some times the BCG just slides right over the top of the round.

Here are some pics sorry about the poor quality.  Got a pmag today and it fits much better and the spring is not exposed to the mag catch.  I also titened the button to refusal and backed it off one turn. (this law is BS)

The spring is intragal to the button and neither very well.  At this point I think all my issues are related to the button and the mag.

Yes the bullet button is depressed with the point of a bullet or the tool.

Thanks

post-527-136297265272_thumb.jpg

post-527-136297265274_thumb.jpg

post-527-136297265282_thumb.jpg

post-527-136297265295_thumb.jpg

post-527-136297265297_thumb.jpg

Looks like the mag release button is not screwed in far enough on the mag release in the photo.

Which would not let it grab the mag slot or insert it with enough pressure to hold the mag in .

If ya want more pressure on the mag slot on the mag ,use some thing to push the button in as far as you can push it & you will have to thread the mag catch into the button more ,but its a trial & error type of thing ,too much & the mag won't release & too little & the mag can fall out .

Or is that the way this bullet button thingy is supposed to be ?

My solution would be to move here to South Dakota, as there are plenty of houses for sale.  Then you would not have to have one of those buttons!!!!  I have some jokes today!!!  I hope you get it working right, these little problems make a person frustrated, I know, I had a few with my build.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while but I took the mag pul, mag and the new ar-10 mag catch to the range and thanks to youall, both problems are fixed.

I also spent some time inspecting the DPMS mags.  They have so many issues I don't think ajusting them will make them work right.

Mag pul mags and ar-10 mag catch are far better products than what they replaced $40.00 fix for $1200.00 gun. THANKS !

• 4 months later...

My CMMG lower rifle will hold the Pmag ,but I get bolt over FTF.

It seems others have used the Armilite mag catch with success to keep mag in position .

Seems like a lot of tolerance differences with the CMMG lowers . Be interested in how yours functions with the Pmag & Armilite catch.

I might try one my self ,just because it might help. Ya never know , the tolerance differences are very small .

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. The ar-10 mag catch is the way to go. The main difference in the two is the ar-10 catch bolt has a slight angle inward.  This is what makes it work cause when you place it in the lower and screw it down, it forces the catch to go into the mag slot deeper.  I do not have an upper yet but my pmag is locked in there very tightly now.

Chad