• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mags falling out and failure to feed Help!

gunjunky

I'm curious about this as well.  I used a DPMS LR308-specific lower parts kit on my gun, and I'm going to removed the mag catch and compare it do a brand new DPMS AR-15 mag catch.  If anything is different, I'll post a pic - if it's the same part, I'll just come back in here and say it.  Back in a few...

Back - There is ZERO difference in the DPMS LR308-specific mag catch that comes in their LR308 LPK, and the DPMS AR-15 mag catch.  Nothing different. 

I'm curious about this as well.  I used a DPMS LR308-specific lower parts kit on my gun, and I'm going to removed the mag catch and compare it do a brand new DPMS AR-15 mag catch.  If anything is different, I'll post a pic - if it's the same part, I'll just come back in here and say it.  Back in a few...

Back - There is ZERO difference in the DPMS LR308-specific mag catch that comes in their LR308 LPK, and the DPMS AR-15 mag catch.  Nothing different.

Correct. That is why you have to get the AR-10 mag catch

Chad

Ok , some Photo's & measurements of the two mag catches .

They are both the same as far as them being a rectangle .0296" long & 0.245" wide , the difference is thickness or depth of the pad that goes into the mag recess to hold it in .

M16 pad --0.155"

AR10 pad - 0.170"

There is also ,on the leading edge of the M16 pad , a slightly beveled portion , but the AR10 is squared off & has no bevel .

Must be to help the mag. be inserted. If you can't see it in the photo ,I can post a larger one .

As you can see in the photo's the AR10 threaded rod for the button is longer ,

AR10--1.092"

M16---1.133"

I also measured the thickness of the arms of the mag catch them self's & the difference is very small ,0.1015" for the AR10 & 0.103" for the M16 catch.

I installed the AR10 catch & the Pmag does seem tighter & cycled some dummy rds. & it worked ,but actually firing the rifle, will tell if it works or not & I have laid out three brand new Pmags ,in the wrap er , to test.

If its going to screw up ,it will do it on a brand new untested mag.

post-154-136297266943_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297266952_thumb.jpg

AR 10 mag catch in my CMMG ,Failed !

I have no doubt this catch will do better at holding a mag in , but the measurements I got , of cartridge height above lower receiver deck were the same as with the M16 mag catch in there .

I tested all mags with one round in them to make sure they all held the bolt back last round & all worked.

The same bolt over as with the other mag catch . Charge the first rd. & the second is caught in the feed ramp & mangled.

Put in a DPMS mag with 19 rds. & I can dump the mag. . Put a Cproducts mag with 20 rds. , dump the mag., no problems .

It was funny , when I got done dumping the second mag. I had an audience , where I was alone before . I think they wanted me to keep it up ,but testing as far as I was concerned was over .

I can say if you have to have one of those bullet buttons , I would try the Armilite AR 10 mag. catch , because it is a lot tighter .

I will probably put one in my DPMS 20" also.

I have no problem using steel mags in my CMMG lowered AR 308 , just the way it is .