• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite AR 10 short stroking cycle issue

joesmoe_6

Does the Bolt catch hold the BCG back on an empty magazine , if charging handle pulled to the rear & does the BCG stay locked back with the Bolt stop engaged ?

​ What Receiver extension did you use ?

^^^  Very good points - we have no idea what parts were used to build the stripped lower receiver.

OP, $hit out the details and we can help.  <thumbsup>

Thank you all for the responses.

The problem is definitely with upper receiver as I have tried a different upper receiver on the lower receiver and it functioned flawlessly.

I think the problem lies with the gas block leaking.

I say this due to examining the gas tube at the gas block interface and I see carbon on the tube in back of the gas block towards the receiver

Thank you all for the responses.

The problem is definitely with upper receiver as I have tried a different upper receiver on the lower receiver and it functioned flawlessly.

I think the problem lies with the gas block leaking.

I say this due to examining the gas tube at the gas block interface and I see carbon on the tube in back of the gas block towards the receiver

Way to go on the scientific method of switching uppers....now go and get a gas tube and put it in with the gas port of the tube pointing down and snug in the gas block ...dont forget to blow     :)  Wash

Leakage around the gas tube is normal. eventually the carbon will build up and create a seal around the tube. Your issues with gas may improve over time as you put more rounds through your rig.

Your new gas block may be a little out of spec as well. How snug was the tube when you mated them? The carbon won't be able to seal a grossly oversized space.

Edited by Robocop1051

• 5 years later...

if you replace the drop-in handguards with a free floating handguard then you did away with the drop-in handguard keeper. You will have to back-off the gas block .30mm from the barrel edge to get a good alignment of the gas ports. If your barrel was drill for retaining pins to hold on the front post sight check to see if the set screws on the gas block are not aligning in the groves keeping the gas block from being aligned. Check to see if your gas block is drilled straight thru for the gas tube, I had one that leaked from the front of the gas block.