• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite AR 10 short stroking cycle issue

joesmoe_6

This can, usually, quickly be remedied with lots (read that as: LOTS!!!) of lube and good magazines.

Also, make sure you're shooting decent quality ammo. Old mil surp 7.62 usually doesn't have the oomph to work a new rifle. You have to get through the break in period before the cheap ammo can come into play.

Lastly, check your gasblock alignment. If it's tilted, loose or improperly installed, you may have a leak or blockage somewhere. Most leaks will fill with carbon and create their own seal.

Did I mention LUUUUUUUUUUBE!!!!!

Pay attention to the lube part that Robo was talking about. Plus, check your mags. New mags can make an issue from time to time until they break in. I just went through some minor hiccups with some new 10 rounders that I had to buy to go see some friends of mine out of state. My 20 rounders (that are VERY well used) don't, or rarely I should say, have feeding issues.

Plus, that's a good question from Farkle. Try your standard buffer and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the response.

In answer to your questions

I have a rifle length gas system on a 20" barrel.

I have tried the standard H3 buffer and have the same issue.

I have lubed the hell out of the rifle.

I am shooting Hornady .308 168 grain A-Max Match ammo.

The magazines are new 10 round mags

Is your rifle the Standard AR10 or the AR10 T? There was a fellow a while back who had a similar issue. It turned out to be an undersized out of spec gas port hole in the barrel. But DO NOT mess with that until you try all the above recommendations. If they don't work, it is time to take advantage of Armalite's lifetime warranty. They can check the gas port problem quickly and easily. Check out the thread below:

If its a stock AR 10 rifle , just talk to Armilite  & may have to send it back.  Rifle should function with 168 match ammo .

If its been altered , what was changed ?

OEM Rifle ?

Did this just start or has it happened since day one.

What other ammo , if any , were also tested in this rifle & what were the results.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for their responses

Answers to questions are as follows

If its a stock AR 10 rifle , just talk to Armilite & may have to send it back. Rifle should function with 168 match ammo.

I have modified this rifle so that is not an option

If its been altered , what was changed ?

I put a troy battle rail free float hand guard and low profile gas block on the rifle

Did this just start or has it happened since day one.

Started the first time I fired the rifle

What other ammo , if any , were also tested in this rifle & what were the results.

I have tried several brands of ammunition in this rifle

Thing that I have done to correct this problem.

1) Lubed the hell out of the bolt carrier and upper receiver

2) Checked Gas Block Aligment miced out position of gas port versus barrel sholder and

the low profile gas block.

3) Verified gas port size ( .086 )

4) Used the standard buffer and spring.

None of the above has resolved this issue

More questions ,

Did the rifle malfunction when in stock configuration ?

Or did you change the hand guard before firing it the first time ?

Do you still have the stock components ?

Try loading one round in the magazine & see if ,after firing the one round , that the bolt will lock open after last shot . Try all the magazines you have .

Rifle extension tube or carbine extension tube?

Which heavy buffer?

Did you try to slide the stripped bolt carrier back and forth in the upper receiver to make sure the gas key isn't catching on the end of the gas tube? It should slide freely with little or no resistance.

Edited by shibiwan

I was reading through this thread, and wondering if this was a complete rifle that Armalite shipped to the customer, or if it had been messed with in some way...  Anything at all changed from how it was delivered from the factory...

Need to know what exactly (and all-inclusively) was changed from the factory rifle.  Then, start looking there first...

Exactly like 98Z said ! ^^^^^ you gotta go back to basics and one change at a time....soooo u said u miked the postion of gasport and gas block...doesnt make a rats azz....break down the upper from the lower...remove the bcg...plug up the chamber (finger,rag,sumthin)

and squirt compressed air down the barrel from the muzzle end....or do like I do...the poor mans way...wrap your lips around the muzzle/brake being sure no air escapes the brake,and you should have a nice flow....but to be sure of full flow loosen the gb and kinda move it around both fore and back to see if the flow increases while the air is running out the gas tube....full flow is what you want while not torquing/flexing the gas tube... #2 like Shibi said....muzzle down..drop the bcg,,,it should go into almost full battery....charging handle should slide right into the gas tube... as for the stock/ buffer system...put it all back to stock.....also seems like u got a mag prob going but you wont know till she locks back on one round

now go wash your mouth out :) Wash

yeah....I know I left myself open on this one :)

Edited by washguy

Did the rifle malfunction when in stock configuration ?

Or did you change the hand guard before firing it the first time ?

I did not fire it in the stock configuration

Do you still have the stock components ?

Yes

Try loading one round in the magazine & see if ,after firing the one round , that the bolt will lock open after last shot .

The bolt will not lock back with a single round in magazine

Try all the magazines you have .

I have tried 5 different magazines all do the same thing

When you replaced your gas block, did you also replace your gas tube?

I re used the gas tube from the original handguard and gas block

I was reading through this thread, and wondering if this was a complete rifle that Armalite shipped to the customer, or if it had been messed with in some way... Anything at all changed from how it was delivered from the factory...

Need to know what exactly (and all-inclusively) was changed from the factory rifle. Then, start looking there first...

1) I bought a Stripped AR 10 Lower receiver and assembled it my self.

2) I bought a Complete AR 10 Upper Receiver including bolt and charging handle.

3) I replaced the handguard and gas block with a troy battle rail free float hand

guard and low profile gas block on the Upper Receiver

The bolt will not lock back with a single round in magazine

Try all the magazines you have .

I have tried 5 different magazines all do the same thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe if it wont lock back on any mag you got a gas problem mostly...did you give it the "blow test"?

Do you know for sure you are using an armalite gas tube thats in good shape..

Also...what buffer tube and stock is on it? that can make a difference

you gotta resolve one problem at a time....if you got good flow in the gas tube and its got good transfer into the bgc....then you can start looking at the "other end"....buffer tube.spring, buffer

In all my years of puttin together ar's.....I only had one fubar that drove me nuts.....It was on a 6.8 last year that would not lock back

cant tell you how many hours i messed with it....rebuilt it too many times...the thing would not lock back after changing part after part .

so the very last thing I could think of was the buffer tube I got off of Ebay....it was mis machined on the inside and was too short causing all the grief....the wall in the garage at the old home took a carrier hit right between the studs....so the moral is dont buy crap and when trying to solve a problem do one thing at a time .....give good info to the forum members...and then listen to what they suggest

:) Wash

Edited by washguy

2) I bought a Complete AR 10 Upper Receiver including bolt and charging handle.

3) I replaced the handguard and gas block with a troy battle rail free float hand

guard and low profile gas block on the Upper Receiver

You bought a complete upper from Armalite, and that would have fired, for sure.

You replaced the handguard (with barrel nut, also?) and the gas block.  What model of Troy handguard did you use, because some Troy's run directly on Armalite barrel nuts.

You need to focus on the parts on that upper that you changed - the problem lies in that. 

Not trying to be mean about it, but something with the parts you installed is not running that upper.

Put the rifle back to original configuration & see how she works . I suspect the Gas Block may not be aligned properly or it is not to spec's., But thats just a guess . 

Does the Bolt catch hold the BCG back on an empty magazine , if charging handle pulled to the rear & does the BCG stay locked back with the Bolt stop engaged ?

​ What Receiver extension did you use ?