• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm getting dents in my case necks during ejection?

TacBlade

Im shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 168grn.  Everything else seems to be working good.  I assume the gas block is aligned right, as it is functioning well?  Has anyone ever used one of these JP Adj Gas Blocks?  I had to back out the adjustment screw 3 1/4 turns for it to eject the spent brass.

I've got the adjustable JP gas block over a year ago and haven't had an issue with dented case necks.  I had it gassed to hot to begin with and then cranked it down essentially shut-off (would not extract) then opened it up to about 3/4 of a turn and adjusted in 1/8 turn intervals until I got it to extract consistently.  I think it was like 1-1/8 turn or so.    I then used loctite (blue) to stiffen it so it wouldn’t move and it has held just fine for several hundred rounds. I think I can see about 1.5 threads on the set screw the way it is set (I could post a picture if needed).

You might want to check your seating and and maybe look inside the tube to see how far the set screw is extending. 

The dents and marks do not bother me at all.  I just wanted to know why it was happening.  I really think my gas holes are not lined up, as I had to back out the screw 3 1/4 turns and others that I have talked to, have only had to back it out 1 1/2 turns?  What do you guys think?

I have a .308 Galil that puts a big dent in the side of the case right at the mid point of the case, and as far as I know there's no adjustment on the AK style gas system. I wish my cases looked like that. I've been told by people that it should be safe to reload them anyway but I just can't bring myself to go to the trouble to load them and have a bunch of dented reloads.

I have a .308 Galil that puts a big dent in the side of the case right at the mid point of the case, and as far as I know there's no adjustment on the AK style gas system. I wish my cases looked like that. I've been told by people that it should be safe to reload them anyway but I just can't bring myself to go to the trouble to load them and have a bunch of dented reloads.

I'm not that familiar with the Galil, but if it doesn't have a brass deflector ,It sounds like the case is hitting the back side of the ejection port .

Which could mean the extractor may be holding on to the case too long . Look for burrs on the extractor.

I'm not sure what type of ejector the Galil has , if its fixed , to the receiver , it could be damaged or in need of some restructuring . If its in the bolt face ,could be weak spring or sticking ejector button .

One thing you have to remember ,they do not make military rifles so that you can reload the brass. Its nice to get them in some shape good enough to reload ,but the design is to get rid of that fired one & put a new one in its place for the next shot . Its no matter to the manufacturers if it dents it or not ,just get it out of there.

Survival shop, I think your point about it being a military weapon where reloading is not a consideration is accurate. I think that it's designed to be 100% reliable and what happens to the case during ejection is not  important. I have never, ever had a failure to feed or eject with it, and it throws the brass a mile. I might be able to fine tune it if I put the time in, but I don't wish to do anything other than changing parts to it and besides, now that I'm putting these 7.62 ARs together, I think it will most likely be collecting dust in the safe while I choose to shoot them instead.

My HK-91 flutes 'em, dents the case mouth and then puts a big ding half-way down. I've reloaded a bunch of them and never had a problem. Firing irons all the old dents out ( not the flutes ) and puts in new ones. After about three loads I throw them away, as they are pretty ugly with three sets of overlapping flute marks.