• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So I bought some ammo

Cali_Ed

Curious, how much you pay for the Barnes VorTX? Last I checked they were almost $40/box for 165/180gr ones.

BTW, you have to shoot some of them at least to know how they perform - I've done some reloads with the TTSX (180gr) and the POI was shifted about 2 mil low&left compared to regular 170gr 180gr match HPBT bullets (various factory match rounds or my quasi-match reloads). I'm assuming that this was due to changes in the bullet dynamics when compared to their bretheren. I also noticed large POI shifts with the 300 AAC 110 VorTX when compared to regular 110gr/125gr plinkers.

You'll probably find the core-lokt ones are pretty consistent with HPBT match bullets. I tried Hornady American Whitetail 150gr and was pretty happy with it (consistently ringing steel @ 300 yds). Have you checked out the 165gr Atomic Ammo from wally world? They were $109/box of 100  IIRC. 

My personal go-to round for general target/practice use is the FGMM 175gr SMK HPBT. These are super consistent and perform really well. It' also easy to reload to similar specs with commonly available powders. PSA was running a special on them a $22.99/box and I picked up some (primarily for the brass, since my brass is gettting a little old).

Edited by shibiwan

Different bullet configurations will most likely shoot differently , even if they are the same weight . The Barnes bullets being a solid alloy will shoot differently compared to a lead core bullets of the same weight . Of course reloading can change all that , you just have to find the right powder, primer & COL combo to do it .

Edited by survivalshop