• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Profiles

D.R.D.

I'd read before somewhere on this forum of people advising against  'lightweight' profiles for a 308AR barrel.  Why is that?  Does it have to do with pressures?  Vibration of the barrel?  Something else?

Thanks

Edited by D.R.D.

Lightweight barrels are absolutely a good way to go. I have a featherweight Rem 700 in .221 Fireball, that I'll put against any bull barrel for a single cold shot. Respect the barrel and understand the limitations of the cartidge, you'd be surprised how much you get out of very little.

If I didn't live in Kalifornistan, I doubt I'd own a barrel longer than 14" on any rifle.... I just don't see a need.

Are you asking me to find the video of Travis Haley, shooting a suppressed subsonic 300Blk, out of a 9" barrel, using only a red dot, to hit his target at over 700 yards?

If you're just looking at accuracy, a 12.5" barrel will hit steel at 1,000 yards. Not saying the bullet would do much to a fleshy target at that distance... but it'll hit nonetheless.

Velocity helps against weather factors, but doesn't necessarily = accuracy.

I've seen that video, and hear ya loud and clear.  Terminal ballistics are important to me at any distance.  So, I guess I'm constantly trying to figure out what's the minimum length barrel on a 308AR that will take me out to a grand, losing as little velocity and power as possible (with a decent 168 or 175 load).

Cool.  Thanks.  That's what I was thinking.  Would you go mid, intermediate or rifle length gas in the 18" barrel?  And for this purpose do you think a heavier profile barrel would have much of an advantage on harmonics and accuracy at distance? 

Cool.  Thanks.  That's what I was thinking.  Would you go mid, intermediate or rifle length gas in the 18" barrel?  And for this purpose do you think a heavier profile barrel would have much of an advantage on harmonics and accuracy at distance?

Rifle gas on everything 16" and longer.

A heavier (larger outer diameter) barrel will have more rigidity and thus less effects due to harmonics over a thinner barrel. Whether or not you're good enough to expose the difference remains to be seen (it likely won't be a huge amount).

Edited by FaRKle!