• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite AR 10A Bolt Catch wont Lock Bolt Back

warthog984

Hello,

This is my first post and first AR 308 build.  So far everything has gone well.  I purchased a new Aero Precision Upper and Lower combo.  Aero says that the parts kit is DPMS compatible.  Based on other topics on this forum, I gathered that the Armalite bolt catch is stronger than the DPMS.  I bought two Armalite AR10A bolt catches, but neither will hold the bolt closed.  I also have a DPMS 308 bolt catch and it works.  The Armalite does not have enough travel.  It seems like it is too thick on the area that touches the bolt catch plunger or the lower receiver.  Just curious if anyone encounter this issue with other manufacture lowers.  Also, is the current DPMS 308  bolt catch from Brownells any better than the ones in the past that broke?

Even though the SR-25 is different than the DPMS model this thread has some info relevant to your question:

Thanks...On page 3-4 it talks about my exact issue.  I also have a DPMS bolt carrier.  Not sure if I want the Phase 5 bolt catch.  I like it simple.  I may modify the Armalite if the DPMS fails.  Also, the Aero upper does not have a large cut out for large head bolt catches.  I dont know if the Phase 5 would fit.

Also, the Aero upper does not have a large cut out for large head bolt catches.  I dont know if the Phase 5 would fit.

Just the contrary - it's the only device of that kind that will clear the upper relief...