• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Primers failing

survivalshop

I have had problems with some Remington small pistol primers not igniting & I had a box of loaded 9mm left over that I had not purged yet & tried to use them last Sunday , shooting Plates . Well they didn't disappoint , had several failures to fire . I decided to pull them down & replace the primers with CCI's .

After I pulled the bullets & domed the Powder back into the Bullseye container , I looked at the primers while they were in the loading block, one of them was discolored & it looks like corrosion , so I sized & de-primed the case & this is what it looks like next to another I removed .

post-11255-0-22723200-1411563566_thumb.j

Primer pocket doesn't look bad .

post-11255-0-60810400-1411563784_thumb.j

With the cases up , looking into them , this is what I found .

post-11255-0-72250100-1411563930_thumb.j

There had to be something that effected these cases . I keep all the primers in the same place & have no other problems except the Remington sm. pistol primers . I have Remington bench rest sm. rifle primers , right next to them & have no problems with them .

My other thought was maybe they were not dried all the way because the cases were S/S wet tumbled , but I always wait a few days before I load them & some times longer , but I suppose its possible . The stuff in the cases is Bullseye powder that clinging to some kind of corrosion in the cases. 

All my ammo is kept in Military sealed ammo boxes & mixed with other same caliber of different bullet weights & I have no problem with those & of course , non have Remington primers in them any more, since I first started to have problems with these primers .

I have had mis fires with these primers in 38 special & 380 acp also, but didn't do a inspection as I did with this batch . It could very well be I left some moisture in some cases , but all the different calibers I loaded have had problems with these primers & I pretty much check all my brass before loading & I would have seen some thing some time I would think .

I've got about 500 of these left & do not trust them , to use them . I did get these primers in the height of the BO scare .

Edit to add , I have never had primer problems before these in all the thirty plus years of reloading .

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

I just took a good look at the bullets pulled from those 9mm loads with some dud primers & the Bullyseye Powder is stuck to them & when you scrape it off , its ether leaving some behind or its some kind of corrosion in the copper jacket . There had to be some kind of contamination , could something in the primer do this ? I've never seen anything like this , in ammo  of any kind .

post-11255-0-39503000-1412371729_thumb.j

It seems like that now , but there is not much Bullseye left in the can , so not a problem putting it aside .  They were dry . It is possible something got splashed in there , while it was in my loading bench , but what & how would be the question . I have had problems with these primers with different powders , bullets & calibers , but have never done this close of an examination & looking at what I see is , to me , it points to the primers .

My reasoning is , at least 500 rounds of primers were used & had failure to fire on different calibers using them & no problems with same powder , bullets , with CCI or WW  primers . The ammo was loaded over at least a year , maybe two , so I can not see it getting slashed or wet , as being that consistent with just those primers . I have Remington small rifle Bench rest primers  & they have no problems .

I'm going to take a magnifier to all the rest of them when I get a chance, I even have a 60x power magnifier for my iPhone .