• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

45-70 loadings

survivalshop

SS,  I have shot 2 deer with the 385's,   both mule deer does.   one dropped where shot, one walked 2 steps. R ange on both was under 100 yds.  The closer one was the one  that walked two steps.

Velocity was @  1600 fps.    No gas check.

respectfully

Terry

Edited by Tripledeuce

I'v been working with ctg a lot , recently.   After 40 years of "other things".   Worked with it in the 70's, for a while.

My wife is planning on hunting a bison, next year, and so I bought her a sharps 45-70.

From the bench, I can't tell much difference in recoil between the 600 grainers and the 385 grainers.   6oo at @ 1300fps, the 385 at @1600.

Respectfully

Terry

Edited by Tripledeuce

I'v been working with ctg a lot , recently.   After 40 years of "other things".   Worked with it in the 70's, for a while.

My wife is planning on hunting a bison, next year, and so I bought her a sharps 45-70.

From the bench, I can't tell much difference in recoil between the 600 grainers and the 385 grainers.   6oo at @ 1300fps, the 385 at @1600.

Respectfully

Terry

Man! That has to hit like a freight train...600gr chugging along at 1300fps!

I can confidently say that the LaserCast 405gr leads shoot very well.  Loaded in new unprimed Hornady brass, CCI 200 primers, 50.0 grains of IMR 3031.  Love it so far.  <thumbsup>

I'll play around with this load some more, but that one works well. 

Inner chamfer the new Hornady brass first...  If you don't, the trilple gas checks on the LaserCast projos don't like that.  Crimp them good. 

I have to download some photo's of the 100 yard groups of the two different 45-70 factory ammo. I can't say for sure which actually shot better , the 325 gr. Hornady's had a more pronounced felt recoil , then the 300 gr. Remington's , but I expected it.

One of the guys I have talked to at the range before , was out there & had a long experience with the 45-70 Cartridge & spotted for me . I got the Remingtons three shot group out & a gust of wind blew my Chronograph over , WTF , is was a very light breeze up until then. Messed up my Sun Shades , so I removed them & when I fired the first three Honady's , I got some real funny readings from the Chronograph  ( I thought I broke it ) , so I put the Sun Shades back on & the first shot fired , my scope moved forward & I couldn't cock the hammer , the magnification ring stopped it .

All screws & their holes were degreased & loc-tighted & Torqued to DNZ's spec's , but guess it wasn't enough for a 45-70 . I re-aligned the scope & tightened them to my spec's & shot another three shot group & got some good info from the Chronograph .

Remington 300 gr. HPFP

Avg. Vel.--- 1867 fps .

ES------44 fps

SD ----- 18 fps.

Hornandy 325 gr. Levolution , flex tip

Avg, Vel. ---1995 fps. ( Box reads 2050 FPS, not bad ! )

ES -----50 fps.

SD -----20 fps.

The Hornady I would say at this time , shot the most consistent , but the Remington had two shots in the same hole & I had to shoot more Hornady , because of the problem with the Chrono. & the scope.

I can say That the Hornady  ammo is MOA & so may be the Remington. I would hunt with both of these , no problem at all & They way this rifle shoots with this ammo , my not even reload for it at this time , I will just buy another box of Hornady & be done with it . I'm not even sure I can make ammo better shooting then this , in this rifle  or better yet , to reason the purchase of  reloading equipment & components to reload them. Dave ,my spotter said the same thing .

Was a fun day.

I found a Hammer extension at Gander & installed it , needed that . My Spotter , Dave told me where to look for them , he knew right where they were .

Target photo's, of course the bottom left group had the funny readings from my Chrono. & thats why I didn't write them on the target. I had two that were close to the velocity readings from the center group & two that were around 2500 fps & I knew there was sometime wrong & putting the sun shades fixed the problem.  I don't want to log anything that could be bad info .

The third group in the center was shot after I tightened the scope rings up . The left group is the Remington  & the scope may have loosened up then , no idea .I like how there is two shots in the same hole , my spotter called it right away , I was impressed with this rifle /Cartridge combo .

post-11255-0-06312500-1420679380_thumb.j

post-11255-0-06514000-1420679561_thumb.j

post-11255-0-58222900-1420679863_thumb.j