• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

45-70 loadings

survivalshop

I'v shot the 45-70 for over 50 years.  everythig from black powder, to duplex blackpowder, lead cast bullets to jacketed.

Rght now I'm, trying two different loads.   A 550gr cast bullet with 5744, and Hornadys new 325 gr flex tip with IMR 4198.

The jacketed bullet has quite a bit of recoil!!!!!!

Respectfully

Terry

The 325 FTX is one of the ones I want to try , the other is a Barne's Original Spitzer type , might even go to 400gr. , but the 325 gr. FTX is quite appealing , if its anything like their XTP Bullet , they work real well .

I will be using a scoped ,NEF 45-70 for Hunting in Gun season , in Ohio next year , if they keep them as an option next year .

• 1 month later...

One dude over on Marlin Owners took his guide gun over to Russia, to hunt brown bear on the Kamchatka Penninsula.  To a person, he said the guide and other hunters were mocking his "little gun" and "obsolete cartridge".

After he was the only person to drop a HUGE bear with one shot DRT (Dead Right There)...the others took multiple shots and a fair deal of tracking...did the others in his party take an interest in his "little gun".

I will wait till after the Holidays to order a die set & bullets . I have my eye on 300, 325 & 400 gr. bullets to try out & will post data .I have a box of Remington 300 gr. soft points to play with for brass & get some data from a factory load . They are over 15 years old , box price on them is $ 17.99 .

I picked up a box of Rem Core-Lokt 405gr - $42.99/box!!!   :eek:

Picked up the Hodgdon 2015 Reloading Manual update last night at the store (the magazine-version).  I'll see what's in there for 45-70.

Edited by 98Z5V

I priced new Hornady brass, unprimed, 50 pieces.  50 bucks.  Need to reload for this.  Buying ammo for it just isn't gonna work.

Several loads in the new Hodgdon listings - need to know if you're shooting trapdoor, lever, or modern - different loads for all of them. 

I have cast & loaded so many through out the years & still do , just too dirty for me in most firearms . I still cast for 45 acp & 45 Colt though & they work just fine . 
      I have a few bro's that say all you need is a cast bullet for the 45-70 , well ,I like modern jacketed bullets my self . I would have to buy a new mold , handles & bullet sizer for my RCBS Lub-o-matic ( I have all the lead I will ever need & tin to harden if needed & even a Forester hollow pointer for my RCBS Trimmer ). More money just to load lead bullets for a Hunting season only rifle ( one week in Ohio ), where as if I load Jacketed , all I need is a Die set & bullets ( jacketed  ) I'm cheap in my old age !  <laughs>

I picked up a bunch of stuff today - only thing missing right now is the right powder.  Box of 250-count 405gr Laser Cast lead-alloy projos, Hornady "Custom Grade" 3-die set, more CCI 200 LRPs, RCBS #14 shell holder, and a box of 50 Hornady new unprimed cases.  All I need to get my hands on is some good powder for these things.