• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Custom bolt release

arnie

Any one using this ? Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt release . I cant get mine to work to lock back bolt on last shot of MT mag ,but it works fine when pulling bolt back by charger handle .I think the thing is just to heavy and cant move fast enough to work in the milliseconds when the bolt is back .I put my normal bolt catch on and it works every time .I have an adjustable gas block and have tried every setting but that doesn't help . If there was a way to slow the action down but not restrict the full rear ward movement of the bolt ,it might work .

Make sure it has complete freedom of movement with out being restricted or rubbing in any way . Spring may be stiffer with the Custom Release ,because of how its made , putting more force against the Spring , more than the STD Bolt catch/stop.

Catch itself may be interfering with BCG travel .

Edited by survivalshop

I have thought about lightening the spring under the catch a little to see if that works .I have stretched the spring in the mag and tried different makes of mags but that didn't help .I know if I push on the bolt stop with my finger and fire it ,it will catch but boy does it sting your finger .

You can tell if its interfering with BCG travel ,by measuring how high it sits above the deck of the lower receiver , comparing the measurements with the STD catch that you know works . I use a digital Dial caliper's depth reading to measure & it won't take much to interfere with BCG travel.

If you plan on messing with the spring , I would do any alterations to a spare one . My gut feeling is the catch is hanging up some where or interfering with BCG travel. Bolt catch could also be out of spec's , if you can, take it or send it back , if possible.