• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

STainless steel and cold weather

I would strongly disagree. Granted, I don't shoot much submerged in a supercooled liquid nitrogen bath while in a vacuum, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't much short of that capable of stress-cracking a well-made SS barrel. In all seriousness, if I didn't have confidence I could fire my rifle safely at -20F, I wouldn't fire it under ANY circumstances. In terms of how much of a problem it is, I don't know statistics, but I haven't personally ever heard of ANY SS barrel stress-cracking for any reason besides complete obstruction of the bore.

The barrel manufacturers dont even agree with each other on this subject.

Lilja states it's ok and I believe AI's AW rifles utilize stainless..

Q. Can stainless steel barrels be safely fired in sub zero temperatures? Yes they certainly can be. There is a myth going around that stainless steel alloys used in rifle barrels loose their strength in sub zero temperatures. There is no truth to that. We have made many thousands of barrels that have been fired safely in below zero temperatures as have all of the other custom barrel makers as well as the major arms manufacturers. This is an urban legend that should be chilled

Stainless Steel is too generic a reference. I would say consult with whoever is manufacturing the barrel you are interested in. Only they know the particular alloy being used in their barrels, they will also be the one honoring a warranty should something go wrong.

I would also wonder if some of the cold weather failures aren't due to a barrel full of ice.

When you are talking temps well below zero there are other issues to be concerned with as well. Things like the action freezing, the effect of the temp on your load and other parts failing.

all jmho

• 3 weeks later...

ummm... im from MN where hunting season is in the winter. I have taken and fired my rifle many times with a SS barrel in the winter. As have many hunters here up north, with to my knowledge zero issues. If AI uses SS then its good to go in my books, considering the AI AW is meant for arctic conditions. Remember if your in extreme cold, use LAW not CLP!