• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Should It Be So Difficult to Choose a Barrel?

McCannicalBob

I started another thread earlier this week, "The Rocky Start" and got a lot of great tips from you guys.  I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm still having a hell of a time deciding on a barrel.  I could go either 16" or 18", I'm not too picky that way.  If I go rifle length gas in either length, I could probably do without the adjustable gas block (I think).  If I get mid-length, I'll go adjustable.

So here is what I'm looking at so far:

Rainier Select 16" or 18", mid length, 1:11 twist.  Comes black, which I like, and Rainier has a good accuracy claim and good return policy. $272 and in stock.

Mega, same as above but 1:10 twist, $310.

Rainier Match, same as above, but not black. $315 in stock.

Fulton Armory has the 18 1/2" rifle length stainless barrel, 1:10 twist.  Kind of heavy, but very good reputation.  $335 in target gray, and in stock.

Rainier Ultramatch, also sort of heavy, in stainless, $435 (I think this just came down about $50; may be mistaken).

Lothar-Walther 18" rifle length, 11.25 twist, stainless, with match bolt, $445 and in stock.  I already have a complete bcg, so I'd have to sell the bolt.

McGowen 18" mid length match, stainless, fluted in stock at $325

I don't think there are any real duds here, and all are with $150 of each other.  Thoughts?  What will $150 get me?

I guess I should be happy I have so many options.

I am sure there are good and not so good reviews on all of those barrels. I have a Rainier Match. I would go with the 18" rifle with the adjustable gas block.(fine tuning never hurts) What you are going to get for that extra 150.00? Better accuracy if you are benchrest shooting, maybe, but I have my doubts. IMJO

Aero Precision has a lightweight stainless steel .308 barrel

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=119

Description:

This 16" mid-length barrel is the perfect addition to your .308 build. Crafted to mil- spec standards from stainless steel with a bead blasted finish and laser etched logo, this barrel provides time tested precision and accuracy for your .308 rifle build.

Features:

Chamber: .308

Length: 16"

Twist: 1 in 10

Material: Stainless Steel

Finish: Bead Blasted

Gas Block Journal: .750

Gas Port: .0725

Gas System Length: Mid

Weight: 34oz

DPMS Barrel Extension

HP and MPI Tested

I started another thread earlier this week, "The Rocky Start" and got a lot of great tips from you guys.  I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm still having a hell of a time deciding on a barrel.  I could go either 16" or 18", I'm not too picky that way.  If I go rifle length gas in either length, I could probably do without the adjustable gas block (I think).  If I get mid-length, I'll go adjustable.

Don't complicate $hit with complicated $hit.  Build your rifle with a standard gas block and see if the thing functions.  If it does, you've removed a complicated part (more than one piece involved) that could cause a problem later down the road, with wear.

If you think you need it after you build the rifle, that's another thing altogether.

Edited by 98Z5V