• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision - DPMS pattern

I have been researching for a while now and have decided the start of the new year I will build it. First came the decision that I would go with the DPMS pattern rifle, a so-called no-brainer. Next question was do I buy or build, I decided to build and use Aero Precision parts.

This was my thinking. If I buy I would buy a Bushmaster XM10 rifle with a 16" barrel, it has almost everything I want. That will cost about $1000 give or take plus shipping maybe tax and transfer. For about $500 more I can get a complete AP rifle. If I want a scope the Bushy needs a new front sight, I would change the grip and stock anyway so now we just spent a few hundred dollars more on it. With the Aero rifle I would end up doing the same thing and the money starts adding up.

So whatever way I look at it for the best bang for the buck I'm going with the Aero Precision receiver set, BCG and maybe a barrel. For a few bucks more I can get their BCG in Nickel Boron. From everything I have read their stuff seems very compatible with a true DPMS. Once I get the receivers and BCG I can get other parts as I have the money. Maybe a Troy rail and a Rainer barrel, I have options as parts become more available. Plus I learn more and more what little parts are better, for instance I have read the Armalite bolt catch is better than the DPMS. Maybe someone will make a upgrade one in the coming year and I'm sure things will be introduced at shot show.

I have PSA AR15 stuff, it was excellent and moderately priced. I was very disappointed with the reports of their PA10 items and lost faith in them as a supplier now. They jumped the gun on it and that was a huge mistake IMO. That almost scared me off the project and made me really do my homework about compatibility and parts quality. It seems the Aero Precision is the safest bet, am I correct on this?

I do have a question, do the Aero Precision uppers have the high or low rail height? A low height would make it easier to get rails and sights for it as far as I can tell. Also it seems more compatible with AR15 stuff.

Am I on the right track here? Can anybody add anything to this? I would really appreciate more input. I already have gleamed so much from this sight.

I just got the Magpul 45 degree sights for a scoped AR and they are excellent. So this is probably the way I'm going with the .308 and a descent scope. I don't need a long rail. I want to keep it a kind of more military type battle rifle or as they might call it a DMR, somewhere between them. I like the idea of a shorter handier rifle with some medium range ability. I will probably never shoot more than 300 yards in my life and the mostly the longest 100. It's a range toy for a retired guy.

The AP stuff is good.  I was one of the ones who bailed from PSA due to trigger incompatibility and got an AP set. v AFAIK PSA still hasn't fixed the lowers, and probably won't until they finish selling off all the defective ones.  I think AP is low profile, but they'll be selling their own handguards, and already do sell the M5E1 enhanced sets with handguard.  If you're going to get AP, I'd say you should just get that.  Those BCG's aren't out yet; I preordered one, and am HOPING that it will work nicely, as the Radical Firearms one I bought was out of spec, and could not be headspaced to the Rainier barrel I bought.  I'll be reporting about that as soon as I receive it all.  You can get a bolt release and the takedown and pivot pins from Aero as well (and I would).  But, then again, so far the RF bolt won't lock back either.  Not sure whether that's the fault of the BCG or the bolt catch.  Again, something I'll be reporting back about.  I do believe that AP will take care of me if anything doesn't work right, however, so no complaints there.  So far their CS has been right on the money.

From what I've seen the Aero M5 sets are DPMS High:

http://www.primaryarms.com/Aero_Precision_M5_308_Stripped_Upper_Receiver_p/apar308503.htm

I have everything on hand to build my rifle, just waiting on my receiver set and the nickel BCG from Aero.  I'll post up pics in my build thread as I progress through the build.  

I would also recommend getting the pivot/front pin from Aero if you don't get their LPK since they need to be a little bit longer.  If I would have known this I would have just got their LPK 

Thank you for the reply guys. Good info there. Have you tried a DPMS BCG in your rifle crimsonfalcon07?

I have been researching it even more today and last night before I make a move.

Did AP change anything with their receivers? Are there like genI or genII types things going on?

I read that too, that it's a high. Actually high is probably better, it has more metal in that area.

It looks like my best bet is to go with all Aero stuff inside as in LPK & BCG, a Rainer barrel, Troy rail, any mil-spec AR tube, .308 carbine buffer and spring.

I'm looking for sales and/or breaks on prices but don't want to get stuff that is not compatible. I really like Nickel Boron BCGs, are they necessary? NO, not really but they are slick and from what I understand anything in a .308 that might help is something to be considered. In an AR-15 not so much, IMO.

I would go ahead and order the receiver set if I were you since its gotta go to an FFL and it's on sale right now.  After that I would take the time to plan out the build and not rush into it like I did.

Nickel Boron BCG's aren't needed I've always just had the plain stuff so I wanted to see what it was about since it wasn't too much more than the regular one with the presale.

Nickel Boron is a lot easier to clean.  Pretty much just wipes off after use.  It's cool stuff.  Necessary?  No.  Nice to have?  Yup.  And at that price, definitely.  I ordered a DPMS-type BCG, but it did not headspace correctly, so I ordered one of AP's BCG's, and will see how that works when it ships (I'm having it sent directly to Rainier for headspacing to my barrel).

I have a FFL friend I use, thanks.

Nickel Boron is nice but not necessary. I was amazed at how slippery it was without lube. It needs lube though. As for shooting, no difference, it's more about clean up. I don't really clean my ARs much, I use quality ammo and just wipe them down.

I'm rethinking the Rainer barrel now. Maybe it's better to go with a Aero barrel since I'm using their other products. I like the idea of sending it to Rainer though if I buy one of their barrels. They are far away from Texas but have always served me well. Got a good price on my DDM4V5 from them and many other parts for ARs.

I'm so tempted to just by a Bushy XM-10 and call it a day. I know that I will start changing things to make it more shootable for me from a ergonomic point. I ended up doing that to an AK. I didn't want to change anything on my AK. Once I fired it I really liked the rifle but it was not comfortable for my old broken body. I have spinal issues and arthritic hands, it's raining in Texas right now and it hurts like hell for me. So I ended up Magpulling the AK, love it now, I used their new grip, a SL MOE stock and an AFG on a Midwest rail. I like .30cal rifles a lot. I tried a .300 Blackout and was disappointed, it's a niche round. I re-barreled the gun to 5.56mm. It's great suppressed and for hunting hogs. I was also worried about mixing ammo types.

I was going to get a M1A1 but the AR platform is something I am familiar with since I was in the army 30 years ago. Plus a lot of the AR-15 stuff fits the .308 which makes it give me the feel of my AR-15s. I learned about how important that can be with handguns, plus the age factor allows my decrepit body to have the ever so important correct ergonomics for me. I like Glocks but they just do not fit my hands well so I went with the M&P for those reasons. Although the little sub compacts are fine because the grip is so short the angle is not a factor.

I try to think things out and not make disastrous mistakes. This is some what unchartered waters we are going into with these rifles. It's great to have a place to share the information. I would have NEVER attempted putting together an AR in .308 without having such a great resource.

Didn't know that, it helps with planning the rest of the build.

I'll have to contact Rainer and see if they might offer that service of headspacing the bolt and barrel with a bolt they supply. Not sure how they do it in an AR. The only one I did was a 50 cal. with a go/no go gauge.

Ay info would be appreciated or personal experience good and bad.

I think you can learn more from mistakes than from the things you did right.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my receiver set and put everything together.  Everything fit great, I used a CMMG LPK and the only thing I'm worried about right now is the bolt catch seems to be a little loose in the slot.  I'll have to wait until my BCG get here to really see how it works.  The pivot pin doesn't bother me at all now that I have it together, it's recessed below the surface a MM or two which is ok since I don't see myself taking it apart much.  The upper and lower fit is pretty tight, I got mine as a set so if you order them separately it might be different but that's with any of them in an AR platform. 

I used a CMMG LPK and the only thing I'm worried about right now is the bolt catch seems to be a little loose in the slot.

Go ahead and buy the Armalite AR-10 bolt catch, and don't think twice about it.  <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...