• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

best bullet for 100 yard shooting

Cali_Ed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

168 grain bullets will do you fine.  No need to go to 175s if it's at 100 yards.   You can probably get by with lighter (than 168) projectiles at that range.

If it was me, I just pick up a box of Hornady 150gr FMJBT bullets and try them out, then get a box of the Hornady 168gr BTHP bullets and see how it goes, compared to those.  You won't see a difference in the 168s and 175s at 100 yards.

Be consistent with your loading practices, and you'll have some great results. 

1.  Make sure all your brass is the same length after you resize. 

2.  Measure every powder charge and make sure they're the same. 

3. Seat your bullets to the exact same depth.

4. Crimp the same each time (if they're the same length after resizing, then the crimps should be equal, if you're doing them in the press).

Lots of people get sucked into the "I need a heavier bullet...because it's a .308 Win" mindset.  150 grainers (and the 147s) really are the workhorse of the caliber.

One thing Tom failed to ask ( <laughs> ), what is your target at 100 yards?  I had some surplus Austrian Hertenberger 147gr FMJBTs that would drill one hole all day in my M1A.  They worked great out to 500 yards too, as far as I tested them known range.  Not authorized for hunting with those though.

Also, do you need 1/2 MOA accuracy or is "Minute Of Deer" acceptable?

150s eh?  From http://www.reloadammo.com/308load.htm

150 grain JSP (Spitzer or Spire Point)

IMR 4895 44.5 gr. 2,780 FPS
H4895 44.0 gr. 2,830
IMR 3031 45.0*gr. 2,830
2400 25.0 gr. 2,215
Reloader 7 37.0 gr. 2,750
Reloader 15 46.3 gr. 2,880
H380 51.0 gr. 2,876
A2230 43.5 gr. 2,712
A2460 45.0 gr. 2,765
748 48.5 gr. 2,865
Trail Boss 9.5 gr. 1,095 (mild plinking load)(will not cycle autoloader)
Trail Boss 12.2 gr. 1,322 (max - still a plinking load)

I load the 147 FMJ over 45.5 grs. of Varget and they shoot MOA for me. Wideners has got a heck of a deal on new (not pulled) 147 FMJ, $185 for 1K shipped. I've been using the pulled 147's they sell but just got 1K of the new ones, which are actually cheaper than the pulled bullets.

Take and resize a case, cut a slit vertically in the neck to the top of the shoulder, insert projo a bit and chamber the round. Open bolt and slowly remove round and measure oal. Should give you a rough estimate of your throat and distance to the lands. Back er off 5 thousandths and see how she likes it

We're here for you, brother.  Bounce questions into the threads, and someone will answer.  May not be the same person everytime, but it'll be the right info you need.  <thumbsup>

The 800-meter thing will never go away, but that's why we love you...  <lmao>

I just wish that I could be the one to help someone on this board sometime.  Apparently, I've never, ever done that, not even once...   <dontknow>

Moreover, I'm still waiting to see an entry on this board where you actually offered any useful information to anyone. The more I read, the more surprised I expect to be, should I actually find one.

Edited by 98Z5V