• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

best bullet for 100 yard shooting

Cali_Ed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta be on about the last "click" towards fully closed, before that forward assist will grab the shoulder of a .308 AR bolt carrier.  Use your thumb to push it forward a bit (indentation for the ejection port cover in the bolt carrier), then click it home with the forward assist.  <thumbsup>

Gotta be on about the last "click" towards fully closed, before that forward assist will grab the shoulder of a .308 AR bolt carrier. Use your thumb to push it forward a bit (indentation for the ejection port cover in the bolt carrier), then click it home with the forward assist. <thumbsup>

figured it out just had to put way more pressure on the forward assist

Tried it a few times got these numbers.

Probably making this harder then it is. Maybe have to buy the correct tool lol

How does this transfer to being able to load a mag, would i take the longest I can get it and still load a mag like my 2.8 loads? I know 2.7 from the hornady loading book is just a suggestion and what they used to test but this is a huge jump up. Would it lose velocity?

Edited by Cali_Ed

After another observation I have to run the round up twice to get to the correct seating depth. I run it up all the way the first time then run it again same pressure and seats a bit lower. So they are seating more consistent with the hornady some mall variances.

So cording to alliant my max load is 49 grains. I subtracted 10% and started at 44.1, I'm now at 47.1 and the case is getting pretty full. If I'm using the correct terms the powder is about at the bottom of the neck. I kind of wanted to make loads all the way up to 49 just to test it but idk if it safe pressure wise. I suppose I could observe the casings for high pressure signs. I'm not even seating them at the reccomended 2.7 I'm doing 2.45, I was going to do another ladder of 2.7 but I'm on sure if I should.

Thoughts?

Edit 2.7 is the minimum with. Velocity of 2900

Edited by Cali_Ed

I made a comment in your thread & it was about a compressed powder charge . If you are using a Bullet with a cannelure for crimping , normally you would seat the bullet to the cannelure for crimping & it could be 2.450" , not sure what bullet you have .  

Compressed load can some times push the bullet back out & may take multiple presses to seat . Maintaining proper bullet tension with the Cartridge case neck will help . Different brand brass cases may have different responses to re-sizing & may not give uniform case neck pressure , its why Annealing the case neck helps with brass that has been fired & re-sized multiple times .

I have reloaded a Barnes Bullet , their 168 gr. TacX bullet is longer than a std Match 168 gr. bullets of other & even there 168 gr. TSX bullets & I had trouble seating them with IMR 4064 ( compressed charge ) , they would do the same thing . I had to seat them multiple  times & they would also get stuck in the seater stem , after contacting Barnes , I had to polish the inside of the seating stem to keep them from sticking to it . I use a Ball Powder & with its lower volume , had no problems with these special bullets .

These bullets do have a cannelure, I read I didn't necessarily needed to seat to it in a 308. The the bullets are seated just under the bottom line of the canelur.

Don't necessarily seat to the cannelure, depending on your 300 AAC Blackout load...  I think I said that before - hope that wasn't what you saw.

Load your .308 Win loads to the suggested magazine-length loading, for your .308 AR. 

Edited by 98Z5V

These bullets do have a cannelure, I read I didn't necessarily needed to seat to it in a 308. The the bullets are seated just under the bottom line of the canelur.

Nothing wrong with that , but there is more to it than that . The cannelure is there for a good crimp for some high pressure or normal pressure loads , as to keep the bullet in place from recoil . Almost all MilSpec ammo has them & they are crimped & sealed , but that's a MilSpec for ammo .

If neck tension is too loose ( reloaded brass ), Bullets can become unseated in the Magazine upon recoil . I use a Taper crimp on almost all my 308 loads , mainly because the Bullets I use do not have Cannelures , but I will use the Taper crimper even if they do.To me a Taper Crimp also uniforms the case mouth against the Bullet , in case it has any imperfections from the reloading procedures.

Also a Bullets configuration ( Olgave ) can be a determining factor in bullet seating depth & the Cannelure is a good reference on where to seat the Bullet to keep it from touching the Lands in the rifling . May not be a problem with most bullets seated to a COL for a detachable magazine fed rifle , because the Magazine will determine the Max. COL.. , but something to take into consideration  .

There's a lot to this reloading stuff  <thumbsup>

Well I i got out the range and pretty quickly found a decent load for the 150grn fmjbt. 42.7 of rl15. I also had some loads for 175smk and varget it but they were a complete waist. CAPTAIN retard over here dicked around with the turrets with out consideration and moved my poi completely of the target. So aside from the 150s I went home pretty pist at my self