• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Large rifle primer sizes

392heminut

I started loading some milsurp 7.62 brass today and the Winchester primers were really easy seating, too damn easy in my opinion! I checked the primers with my caliper and they were .210 diameter. I don't have any other brands of large rifle primers to compare, but my Winchester large pistol primers measured the same .210 and some CCI large pistol primers measured .211.

If you guys have some Federal, CCI or other brand large rifle primers could you check the diameters and post it up here? I'm curious to see how other brands compare to the Winchester stuff. I've never had primers seat with so little effort and it bothers me. These are once fired cases, never been reloaded!

Edited by 392heminut

How did you remove the crimps on the primer pockets?  Are you sure you didn't enlarge the pocket a little too much?  Do you have any commercial cases you could try?  If you have any handgun cases that use large pistol primers, you might just try to seat one of the large rifle primers into it to see if it fits.  You will obviously have to remove that primer before you load that case.

As I said in the OP, the brass is once fired, never been reloaded. Most of this stuff is WWC headstamp and didn't have crimped primers. I ran the primer pocket reamer ( measures .207) through them just to avoid any priming problems and that may have enlarged some of them. I still have 1K+ that haven't been sized and decapped yet and I won't use the reamer on those when I process them. I'll probably just have to shitcan this batch!

Mike, thanks for those measurements, that's basically what I was looking for. <thumbsup>

Don't ream them unless you have to do so.  If there was no crimp,  reaming can do nothing good.  You can use a uniformer that only works to clean up the bottom of the pocket, but you certainly do not want to make the diameter of the pocket any bigger.  You might have to ditch that batch.

As I said in the OP, the brass is once fired, never been reloaded. Most of this stuff is WWC headstamp and didn't have crimped primers. I ran the primer pocket reamer ( measures .207) through them just to avoid any priming problems and that may have enlarged some of them. I still have 1K+ that haven't been sized and decapped yet and I won't use the reamer on those when I process them. I'll probably just have to shitcan this batch!

Mike, thanks for those measurements, that's basically what I was looking for. <thumbsup>

I have that Primer info on a chart & I couldn't post it , same info .   <thumbsup>

Edited by survivalshop

• 4 months later...