• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

further testing..

Cali_Ed

Ok guys every one has seen this picture from the other threadb0b34a8c-d99b-422a-b3e8-99bd2ef8d792-1_z

My question to you guys is should I call the testing quits or keep trying to develop each one of those load by adjusting seating depth?

Or ♢don complicate poop with stupid poop?♢

mmy next goal is two test the 2 best ones at 300 and see what they do?

What would be my next logical step?

Ok guys every one has seen this picture from the other threadb0b34a8c-d99b-422a-b3e8-99bd2ef8d792-1_z

My question to you guys is should I call the testing quits or keep trying to develop each one of those load by adjusting seating depth?

Or ♢don complicate poop with stupid poop?♢

mmy next goal is two test the 2 best ones at 300 and see what they do?

What would be my next logical step?

IBefore you go out further I would at least chrony the loads to find out the velocity and deviation, as it may come into play, depending on how far out you plan to shoot.  IMO

As you said , just shoot those loads at 300 & see what happens . The Velocity thing is over rated , but SD & ES will tell you more & you will see it at extended ranges . 

The COL will be max ( or close to it ) @ 2.800" , as you know its as close as the Magazine will let you get to setting the best COL & the bullet type may have an effect on the out come also

On that 178 AMAX at 39.9 - didn't you have a very similar group size at a higher charge?  Something at or over 44gr?

That was one full pass through an accuracy node.  The results at 39.9 and again at 44-something.  You'd probably hit the one under somewhere around a 36gr charge.

It's times like this - working all the way through an accuracy node - that you have to decide if the additional velocity will help you.  At longer distances, it certainly will help. If you'll stay at 300~500 yards, then it won't matter.

Here's some of my Chrono testing with Nosler 175 gr. , I have photo's of the targets also .

16" BBL. 175 gr. Nosler Match bullets. COL 2.796 "

# 1 - 39.5 gr. IMR 4895 ( on Noslers load data , the most accurate ) ( Annealed FC brass & crimped with Lee Factory crimp die )

Avg. Vel.- 2269 fps

ES-      22fps

SD-       8 fps

# 2-   38.5 WC 846 

Avg. Vel.- 2214 fps

ES-     53 fps

SD -    19 fps

# 3-   42 gr. IMR 4064 ( newer CCI primers )

Avg. Vel.-  2466 fps

ES -      26 fps

SD -     11 fps

# 4 -   40 gr. WC 846

Avg. Vel. - 2327 fps

ES -     32 fps

SD -     12 fps

20 " BBL.  175 gr. Nosler Match bullets , COL 2.796 "

# 1- 39.5 gr. IMR 4895 ( again this loading in the Nosler data was there most accurate )( Annealed FC case , Lee Factory crimp die )  ( only four shots in group, all I had left to use  )

Avg. Vel. -2392 fps.

ES -    69 fps

SD -    28 fps

# 2 - 40 gr. WC 846 ( there are five shots in that group )

Avg. Vel. - 2446 fps

ES -      43 fps

SD -       16 fps

# 3 - 42 gr. IMR 4064 ( newer CCI Primers )

Avg. Vel. - 2573 fps

ES -      17 fps

SD -        7 fps

# 4 - 40 gr. IMR 4895 ( WW brass , annealed & crimped with a Lee factory crimp die )

Avg. Vel. - 2353 fps

ES -      44 fps

SD -       15 fps.