• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Older but still a sweet shooter

ridurall

I picked up this Armalite AR-10T with the 24" barrel right after Obama was first "elected".  It came with the Generation III Springfield scope with the .308 reticle.  l've never once looked back and regretted it.  It's a `1998 model and when I first purchased some Generation II magazines they didn't work quite right and I contacted Armalite and wow what a stand up company.  They right away sent me everything I needed to convert my rifle to handle the second generation magazines.  I never had anymore trouble with it.  I did put a Magpul stock on it and have thought about getting a new upper receiver with a forward assist but it's not like I've really needed it.  The rifle still shoots a 168 grain Hornady A-Max within 1/2 MOA so I cannot complain and I fear if I change anything it will go against me.  Its a bit heavy with that 24" barrel but when setting at the bench in reasonable weather I can ring the gongs at our local copper mine riding and shooting club.  They have gongs set up from 300 yards out to a mile.  I've used the reticle out to 700 yards but not beyond that.  It however hit every target I tried out to that 700 yards. 

post-15966-0-27285300-1430289316_thumb.j

About 4 years ago I invited a group of on line friends from a concealed carry forum I was active on to get together on my place and shoot anything we wanted to.  I had plenty of ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder to make my own Tannerite and I invited the sheriff and game warden so they wouldn't get spooked and we had a lot of fun shooting handguns and doing some long range shooting.  We were having a bunch of fun shooting Tannerite at 350 yards and I had my new Canon "ALL WEATHER" 10X50 Image Stabilized Binoculars, my old spotting scope and the Springfield scope on my AR-10T when one heck of a storm blew in on us. We got stuck on a ridge through a couple of inches of rain and hail trying to hold a tarp over our heads with not much luck.  Those $1565 Canon "ALL WEATHER" binoculars ended up with all kinds of moisture inside the lens but my old Spacemaster II spotting scope and the Springfield scope didn't have a bit of a problem.  I promptly got a return authorization number from Canon and sent them in to be fixed.  I got a letter from them saying they would be happy to fix them for $1568.  I was shocked at their lack of customer service. At the time I could purchase a new pair on Ebay for $999.  I ended up taking them apart myself and drying them out.  The image stabilization still works but they are not as clear as they were.  Of course I didn't have to tools to take them apart the way the factory would.  I also had a pair of Brunton Epoch 8X42 Lifetime HALO warranty that even covers them if they are run over with a truck but they were just fine. I thought that spending that much money on the Canon Binos would assure me of quality.  You can bet I'll never purchase another Canon product.  

I like those Scopes. always trolling around Ebay in hopes of seeing one go cheap. How are those Brunton binos? Im assuming they went out of business because I keep seeing Brunton stuff come up on clearance. Botac and dvor have been blowing them out.

I love the Brunton Epoc Binoculars.  They rate right up there with Zeiss, Leica or any other high end binocular.  I had some great telescopes but one day the viewing was perfect and I had Saturn on my Nexstar 11.  A perfect picture of a beautiful planet.  My sister and brother in law were visiting and my daughter and wife were playing cards and I couldn't get them to bother to look.  So I sold them and purchased what I thought were top of the line binoculars. 

I like those Scopes. always trolling around Ebay in hopes of seeing one go cheap. How are those Brunton binos? Im assuming they went out of business because I keep seeing Brunton stuff come up on clearance. Botac and dvor have been blowing them out.

I just did some research and man it just about broke my heart.  Brunton had the best focus out there and great glass that was as good or better than any other high end binocular manufacture.  Now it seems that Brunton is getting out of the optics business.  So much for my HALO lifetime warranty.  Still I wouldn't part with my pair for anything.  The one thing I did to mine was replace all the lense covers with see through pop up scope covers.  With high end lenses I don't want to have to clean them and the scope covers seal them up tight.  I don't try to use the see through lenses on the scope covers as they just pop up and are very handy while hunting.  I always wondered why Brunton didn't spend more on advertising to compete with the big boys but I still see them being sold for around $1300 on some optics dealers.  I bet they can be found cheaper though.  Their $4000 spotting scope can be had for around $1000 now which is a good deal if you want quality w/out warranty.  Man I was always proud of that HALO warranty, that said if you run over them with your pick up they would replace them.  Shucks!  :soap: