• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spikes Tactical Forged .308 Set

EngrBob

It is AIM Surplus.  Go to the Accessories Store then down the sub-menus on the left side until you get to 308 AR Accessories.  You should be able to go from there.  They carry 3 which appear to be the same with different finishes, phosphate, nitride and NiB.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ROFL ... I found them.  I don't know how I missed them before.  I notice they also sell a 7.62x39 BCG.  I need one of these too.

Thanks for the assistance   :))

Edited by GRA

No, it hasn't.  It was shipped Wednesday and got to Hutchins, TX (outside of Dallas) yesterday afternoon but has been sitting there ever since.  I just received a message from FedEx Ground that it would be delivered next Tuesday instead of Saturday with no other explanation.  This is the only real shipping hangup I have had, everything else is here including the head spacing gauges.  By the way. using the barrel nut I checked the UTG DPMS lo rail (I ordered both since it really looked like it measured high - 3/16") but the low profile fits perfectly.  Good luck!

I cannot stand to use FEDEX for anything unless it is absolutely necessary.  I think they are clowns pretty much throughout the entire state of Texas.  They've become very unprofessional/unreliable and arrogant with regards to customer service.  I haven't been able to trust them for years.  My list of complaints with them is endless.  The USPS here has a game of pursuing their own agenda.  In that past couple of years, every time I order a gun part and it is shipped via the USPS it seems the package has been opened or the outside colored plastic has been scratched so somebody can see through the bubble wrap and figure out what's inside.  I just received a package from MidwayUSA that way today.  They also have a habit of using "discretion" and will on their own require a signature for a package when they seem to suspect that gun parts are being shipped.  They have done this even when I've ordered something and specifically requested it to be shipped without requiring a signature.  I've had good luck with UPS here lately.

I'm glad you posted the information about the DPMS high vs. low rail.  I never even heard of this and I am trying to figure out what my final configuration will be.  I want to use the traditional A2 front sight post with a Magpul hand guard but I don't know if this is possible, nor I currently have no clue what barrel nut I will need for that specific configuration.

Hope your barrel gets to you soon.

EngrBob ... have you purchased any buffer parts yet?  I have the impression the buffer tube is optional as to commercial or mil-spec diameter however the actual buffer and spring are different from an AR15.

Have you gone in to this part of the build yet?

Edited by GRA

Forgot about the photos ... (my apologies).  I've ordered some more parts today but I'm still a ways behind.

I guess I need to get to Slash's website and see how bad I need to take the plunge there.  I think I may have a spare mil-spec AR15 tube hiding around here somewhere.

Please let me know how your barrel turns out.

Yes, I have a six position carbine mil spec buffer tube and Slash's heavy buffer and spring.

What weight did you get; the 5.5 oz. or the 6.5 oz. ?

Did you buy Slash's buffer tube also?

Edited by GRA

Forgot about the photos ... (my apologies).  I've ordered some more parts today but I'm still a ways behind.

I guess I need to get to Slash's website and see how bad I need to take the plunge there.  I think I may have a spare mil-spec AR15 tube hiding around here somewhere.

Please let me know how your barrel turns out.

Why not just buy an AR-10 pattern receiver extension (AR-10, VLTOR A5, POF P308, and others), AR-10 spring (EA1095), and AR-15 H3 buffer? It'll cost the same/less than one Slash CAR-10 buffer...

DSG has everything you need:

-Armalite AR-10 RE

-VLTOR A5 RE

-VLTOR A5 7-position RE

-H3 buffer

-AR-10 action spring

If it was me though, I'd scour the forums/eBay for deals and used parts (probably won't find the action spring used, but the other two you can find).

Edited by FaRKle!

Why not just buy an AR-10 pattern receiver extension (AR-10, VLTOR A5, POF P308, and others), AR-10 spring (EA1095), and AR-15 H3 buffer? It'll cost the same/less than one Slash CAR-10 buffer...

DSG has everything you need:

-Armalite AR-10 RE

-VLTOR A5 RE

-VLTOR A5 7-position RE

-H3 buffer

-AR-10 action spring

If it was me though, I'd scour the forums/eBay for deals and used parts (probably won't find the action spring used, but the other two you can find).

I was just going by the recommendations I picked up elsewhere on this board.  I don't mind trying different approaches so I will keep these as potential changes in the future if not satisfied with Slash's.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Well, the scum sucking turds at FedEx Ground delivered the barrel.  Of course the package was open, the packing at the crown of the barrel was missing as was the gas block.  The red plastic covering the crown is marred so I don't know whether the barrel sustained any damage.  Interestingly the barred had a pink/red tape around the open end with a lable with a series of numbers and a date, which was when the package was sitting in the FedEx depot in Hutchins, TX.  Incompetent and thieves as well.

This really sucks.  I'm sorry to hear the bad news but from FedEx this is NOT IN THE LEAST SURPRISING.  I avoid having anything to do with this worthless and incompetent LIBERAL ASSED company if I can ever help it.  :cookoo:

I say this, to stress that I despise these people to the extent that I have backed out of buying something I really needed that was also on sale somewhere and purchased the same thing for upwards of $20.00 or more in regular cost simply because the company that had the item on sale was using FedEx exclusively.

I dodge FedEx like a germophobe dodges a leper colony.

If I was you I would call FedEx immediately and ask for a supervisor and when you actually have a supervisor then explain the matter to him/her.  It might help to go to FedEx and speak with someone face-to-face.  Ask them if you are the person that should file the claim or the merchant.  Also contact the merchant and give them the name of the supervisor and whatever it was the supervisor told you and follow instructions as to who should file the claim and by all means keep copies of everything.

It seems there is a definite trend of FedEx shipping going bad once it reaches Hutchins, TX.  Once it leave Hutchins and comes my direction it only gets worse.  I'm sure it is not much better from Hutchins to El Paso.

Unfortunately I can offer you no decent explanation for this but I can tell you I know all too well how this feels as it has happened to me before.  Extremely frustrating and disappointing.

I would like to point out to whoever may also be reading this, that beginning in about 2012 up until as recent as this past Friday, I have been epxeriencing some strange and mysterious happenings with packages being shipped to me via the USPS and sometimes UPS that originated from know firearms parts suppliers, etc.,

The most recent was Friday when I received a package of spare pins and springs from MidwayUSA.  This was shipped in a small light gray plastic package, of which appeared to have been taken from a roll of bulk packaging material and sealed-to-size on both ends once it was stuffed by Midway.  Interestingly was that one small area of the outer layer of gray plastic was peeled back so somebody could see thru the inner clear layer of plastic and discover what was in the package.  This was shipped via the USPS, who incidentally likes to use "discretion" every now and then by holding delivery on something until I sign for it or come to the post office to pick it up.  Needles to say, EVERY one of the packages they've done this with appears to have been opened. 

I Last week also I received an order from JSE Surplus.  I had this shipped via the USPS.  IT was delivered without any problems.  The week before that I had received an A2 carry handle I ordered from BCM.  This was delivered via UPS and the followed instructions and delivered the package by leaving it behind my front storm door and without signature.

These companies hire folks that do eventually learn how to seal a package; be it a box, envelope, or whatever so I know the initial sealing is good.  Somebody along the way, for whatever reason, just has to see what I'm ordering.

I could go on and on about my horror stories with FedEx but it won't make you feel any better.  I will say that over here in our area they are totally incompetent, lazy, dishonest, arrogant and outright some of the most pathetically miserable people I've ever seen in anybody's workforce.

I hope you get it straightened out.  Please keep us advised of the developments.

Let me know what the overall condition of your barrel is and how the workmanship appears.  I had my eye on the 20" barrel and was going to move on it soon.

My advice; if those threads are damaged I'd send it back and ask for another one.

Good luck !!! 

Fortunately Faxon has already gotten back to me and they will deal with FedEx directly.  I would like to but because of my job I could be accused of using my position to extract revenge.  I have sent Faxon detailed pictures of the crown and at this point they do not feel there is any damage or issue.  The barrel itself (an 18" moly steel QPQ nitride) is beautiful, smooth as a baby's bottom, very even color, and I did headspace it with my bolt and it checks out perfectly (getting the ejctor and extractor out and back in were a challenge - it was very tight).  I will mount it later once I get final word from Faxon that they believe the barrel is OK and the gas block gets here).  Unfortunately since they use FedEx exclusively the gas block may never get here.  I did slide the barrel into the upper and hand tightened the barrel nut and everything fits together very nicely.

Since we are heading to Alpine and Big Bend for Memorial day this will need to wait until I get back, and by that time I may cool down sufficiently to enjoy putting everything together. The bright side of this adventure has been the response of Faxon which has been exceptional so far (although they use FedEx exclusively).

Oh yes.  That's going to look great. <thumbsup>  

Thanks for posting the pics.  Please keep this updated.

I'm still a little ways behind you.  One of my barrels should be here Tuesday.

I decided to build the carbine first then later when I decide on a better barrel I'll do another upper in 20".  I forgot I had previously bought an upper receiver about a year ago.  Found it when going thru the parts bin and a light bulb went on. 

Got several parts due in Tuesday.  I'll post up when they get here and I sort everything out.

OK, while waiting for the replacement gas block I attached the barrel and hand tightened the brake to ensure the threads were not damaged.  It is starting to look like something.

The replacements were dispatched and we scolded Fed-Ex appropriately. 

Sadly, its picking between two devils. Both UPS and Fed-Ex have caused issues but we will do our best to insulate you guys from their occasional idiocy. 

The replacements were dispatched and we scolded Fed-Ex appropriately. 

Sadly, its picking between two devils. Both UPS and Fed-Ex have caused issues but we will do our best to insulate you guys from their occasional idiocy. 

So if I order one of your barrels you'll ship UPS then, right?