• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spikes Tactical Forged .308 Set

EngrBob

I did order both the upper and lower of the Spikes .308 from different shops.  The lower did NOT come with the pivot pins, bolt catch or magazine release; however, after calling Spikes they sent these to me.  Unfortunately I had a .308 LPK and this lower does not use the allen screw pin for the bolt catch and I had to get a pin kit to get them installed.  I have a Geissele G2S trigger, a HeavyBuffers weight and spring, a mil spec tube and a Magpul ACS-L stock arriving tomorrow to finish the lower build (my first).

Impressions of the set is that they fit perfectly, no visible machine marks, and have extremely nice marking.  My S/N is 314 so I expect there are a few out there.  I expect to add an AIM NiB BCG and either a Faxon or Criterion 18" or 20" barrel over the next couple of months.  Not sure what rail or optics yet, but I have time for that.

By the way, discovered that I could get the vice blocks for both the AR-15 and the AR-308 from PlastiXrevolution for about 1/3 of the cost at any other supplier.  I have them and they work perfectly.

I have been lurking in preparation for this build and appreciate all of the information available in the discussions here.  Thanks guys.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, discovered that I could get the vice blocks for both the AR-15 and the AR-308 from PlastiXrevolution for about 1/3 of the cost at any other supplier.  I have them and they work perfectly.

Those vise blocks are nice, aren't they?

You're a good forum citizen. First post, you mention an item and you already fulfilled THE RULE. Outstanding! Now we need pics.

Edited by mineralman55

I don't know if they are rebranded or not.  The engraving says Spikes Tactical, Apoka, FL and has the Spikes spider and logos for fire and safe.  I will finish the lower by the end of the week and will try to post pictures at that time.

There are only so many forging factories here &  most Receiver Manufacturers apply their own logo's to raw forgings when the finish machining them. Not sure if this is the case with these . <dontknow>

Yes photo's or it didn't happen  <thumbsup>

Edited by survivalshop

I don't know if they are rebranded or not.  The engraving says Spikes Tactical, Apoka, FL and has the Spikes spider and logos for fire and safe.  I will finish the lower by the end of the week and will try to post pictures at that time.

COOL ... Can't wait to see it.   :))

I expect to add an AIM NiB BCG and either a Faxon or Criterion 18" or 20" barrel over the next couple of months.

I have been lurking in preparation for this build and appreciate all of the information available in the discussions here.  Thanks guys.

I am having a hard time deciding to use an 18" or 20" barrel.  I've been told the 16" - 18" are good in this caliber to at least 600 yards ... (???) and long range is primarily what I am building this for.  I'm leaning toward the 18" thinking it won't be too much compromise from the 20" - 24" barrels yet may save a little weight.  As for hunting purposes I don't see myself shooting at hogs that are further than 600 yards out.  I don't think I can even see that far anymore with these 53 year old eyes.

Thanks for the info. on the vice block.  I was in grief over how much the total cost of my first .308 build will be once I factor in all the .308-specific tools.

53 ,   Puppy age  <lmao> .  The 16" will work as far as the Cartridges capabilities let it . The 18" if a lighter profile , will not be bad either .

My thinking has always been , if you carrie the rifle around , less weight is better . Bench/Target , it doesn't matter that much .

Edited by survivalshop

53 ,   Puppy age  <lmao> .  The 16" will work as far as the Cartridges capabilities let it . The 18" if a lighter profile , will to be bad either .

My thinking has always been , if you carrie the rifle around , less weight is better . Bench/Target , it doesn't matter that much .

Thank you for your input.  I am currently inclined to the 18" barrel.

The Faxon 18" 4150 QPQ barrel is listed as about 2 lb. 5 oz.  which is about 2 oz. lighter than the Rainer 16" select and 5 oz. less than the Rainer 18" select which are my other choices long with the Fulton Armory (Criterion) 18.5" lightweight which is about 2 oz more than the Faxon.  I am not sure the FA is worth the additional expense compared to the Rainers and the Faxon.

Good information.  I was looking at that last night, at least the weight comparisons.  I left Ranier out of the picture for now because they are indeed expensive.  I didn't even check Fulton out.  I basically compared Faxon, Mega, and the 18" barrel offered by Ares Armor.

Faxon is currently out of their best SS fluted 18" barrel but they have the salt bath nitrided 18" barrel which is the lightest of all the barrels I compared, excluding the Ares barrel for which they don't give a weight amount.

The Ares barrel is only about $218.00 and the 18" Faxon barrel (not SS) is about $250.00.  I really don't know what the pro(s) and cons are regarding SS over non-SS because I've never used any SS barrels for my AR15(s) and all those barrels are chrome lined.

I really need to do more research.

OK, ignoring the hijacking, here is the completed lower with slash's buffer, the Geissele G2S trigger, an Ergo grip and the Magpul ACS-L stock.

attachicon.gifIMG_0066_edited.jpg

Backing uo a bit and attaching the upper.

attachicon.gifIMG_0067_edited.jpg

Outstanding!  Looks very well done.   <thumbsup>

I'm glad you posted this because it reminds me to check out that site you posted with the cheaper vice blocks.  My receiver set should arrive at the FFL tomorrow and I'll go pick it up.  I really don't have any additional parts at this time to start the build with but again I plan on taking my time.

Obviously I also need to learn how to post photos on here ...  <dontknow>

Keep us informed about the progress of your build and what barrel you decide upon.  I sent an e-mail off to FAXON this evening inquiring about their barrels.  I'll post their reply on here when I get it.

As for a stock I'm kind of leaning toward nostalgic.  I might just go ahead and install the military A2 stock.  Don't have many of those around here where I can check them out before ordering.

We might want to start looking at, and asking for opinions on, some adequate optics also.

Again ... thanks for sharing the cool photos.

Actually I have decided (and ordered) to go with the Faxon 18" QPQ Nitride barrel and the AIM Nitride BCG.  I expect to use this for both hunting and on the range and felt the nitrided parts would be a bit tougher.  I did order the low profile gas block and tube from Faxon under the assumption (and you know what they say about ass_u_me) that their block should fit their barrel well.  Now I can start thinking about rail, compensator and glass since I also ordered an ambidextrous charge handle.  I am right handed but left eye dominant so I shoot lefty so teh ambi feature is a nice to have.

Actually I have decided (and ordered) to go with the Faxon 18" QPQ Nitride barrel and the AIM Nitride BCG.  I expect to use this for both hunting and on the range and felt the nitrided parts would be a bit tougher.  I did order the low profile gas block and tube from Faxon under the assumption (and you know what they say about ass_u_me) that their block should fit their barrel well.  Now I can start thinking about rail, compensator and glass since I also ordered an ambidextrous charge handle.  I am right handed but left eye dominant so I shoot lefty so teh ambi feature is a nice to have.

Who is AIM?  I keep seeing this more and more and I will need a BCG also.  I'd really like to get the BCG and the barrel in a matched set.

I'm leaning towards the same barrel.  Seems lighter and is also cheaper.  I'm not fully committed yet as I have noticed that is has become more common for some of the custom arms builders to use SS.  I don't know if there is an advantage to SS or maybe just helps them sell better.

I plan on using the A2 front sight gas block but I need to check some measurements first.

Please keep the updates and photos coming.  Thanks !!! 

AIM Surplus is a distributor, apparently down the street from Faxon in Ohio.  Some have said that Faxon uses their BCGs in testing but I don't know that for a fact.  I did ask AIM if they were going to carry the Faxon 308 barrels, since they do carry the the 223 barrels, and they said they had ordered them but may not have them for a month or so.  Since I plan on checking the headspace anyway, and since Faxon says their guarantee is to do what is necessary to make things right, I will send it back to them if I can't headspace with guages.

Thank you I will check them out (AIM surplus).  I'm glad Faxon has that type of guarantee.  I need to get the .308 headspace  gauges along with all the other tools as soon as I decide on a barrel.

Thanks again for the assistance.  The next two websites I'm going in to are the sites you've recently mentioned.

By the way ... just got back from the FFL. My receiver set came in.  I'm impressed to say the least at first sight.  Everything appears to be within specs.

The lower came with the bolt catch and mag release installed but the pivot pins were enclosed in the box in a separate package.

The upper came with the forward assist and the dust cover installed.

My serial number ends in 288.